SMarT Funding in danger of being cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMarT Funding in danger of being cut

Don't want to go into too much detail about how I found this out but I was told that the smart funding was in jeopardy of being cut from the government anyone know bout this ,
    ?

Hi Dave,

SMarT funding has been in an uncertain state for quite some time. There has been renewed concerns today that the withdrawal of govenment funding for undergraduate university courses might affect cadet funding. We have an article about this on the home page and a thread going here.
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Hi Dave, as for future cadets, I would take what is said on the above thread with a pinch of salt; it?s all speculation. Keep an eye on the homepage though, I?m sure the powers that be will keep us all reliably informed

Comment

It's been in the 'Nautilus Telegraph' (Union Newspaper) a few times recently, and would have quite an affect on the training of cadets.

However, the whole cadetship is setup to maximise funding, hence doing foundation degrees, NVQ's, HND's, HNC's etc. The course material has largely stayed the same, but has been adapted to meet the requirements of these qualifications so as to obtain the necessary grants and funding that go along with it.

Comment

Do all companies use SMART funding? or do some sponsor their cadets by themselves?

Comment

Pretty sure they all do.
            sigpic
            Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

I have a feeling that the Trinity House endowments pay for their cadets without requiring the SMART funding but I could be wrong.
              Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

I wish SAAS paid for this course, then I wouldn't have a huge problem of finding a new company to sponsor me throughout my training, because there wouldn't be the whole SMarT funding issue. If only...
                "Did I tell you about my theory about sailors? Sailors are the finest people in the world."

Comment

Originally posted by effiestephy View Post
                  I wish SAAS paid for this course, then I wouldn't have a huge problem of finding a new company to sponsor me throughout my training, because there wouldn't be the whole SMarT funding issue. If only...
                  You can do the BSc / Hons course under SAAS funding - I do believe you can still do it at Strathclyde (if not you can do it at Plymouth) however that would leave you with the issue of finding a company to complete your sea time on.
                  ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                  myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

I don't meet the entrance requirements to go the course at Strathyclyde. I don't think it would be a good idea either considering I failed the Professional Diploma :/ haha. I'm so tempted to take out a loan and pay for the course myself (and maybe make my own customized uniform? :P) and beg some poor company to let me join for my sea time.
                    "Did I tell you about my theory about sailors? Sailors are the finest people in the world."

Comment

Working...
                    X