RFA BRNC Lapels Etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFA BRNC Lapels Etc

Has anyone had any experience purchasing these?

I have a sheet detailing what I need to buy:

Epaulettes laced to Rank of Cadet(E): 1pr

Soft Shoulder Slides laced to Rank of Cadet(E): 2pr

Lapel Insignia Cadet(E) for No1 Blue Uniform: 2pr

RFA Buttons 4 large, 4 medium, anodised with split rings for No 1 CW

RFA Buttons 4 medium, anodised with split rings, plus 2 with link buttons for 2BW

RFA Buttons 4 small, anodised with split rings for white mess waistcoat

I mean what the hell!! Then to add to the confusion, if you have over 150 UCAS points (which i do) you should wear the F/d or RTO rank insignia..

Can anyone explain all the silly terms and hopefully help workout what I need to buy

Cheers
    Forum Admin

Re: RFA BRNC Lapels Etc

Originally posted by hontoir
    Epaulettes laced to Rank of Cadet(E): 1pr
    Hard board epaulettes for wear with short sleeve ("tropical") shirts, though the current issue shirts can take soft tabs too, Tropical 1s (bush jacket) and with white mess jacket.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/training-an ... oyal-navy/
    http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/training-an ... oyal-navy/

1B/CW, 2A/B/CW, 2C, 3B, 3A/B/CW

Soft Shoulder Slides laced to Rank of Cadet(E): 2pr
    For wear with long sleeved shirts, AWDs, woolly pullies and foul weather jackets.

3A/C/D

Lapel Insignia Cadet(E) for No1 Blue Uniform: 2pr
    Fairly self explanatory: 1B/C. No idea why you would need two pairs though unless they issue you two No. 1 jackets at Dartmouth.

RFA Buttons 4 large, 4 medium, anodised with split rings for No 1 CW
    Yep, RFA buttons are not part of the naval stores system so you'll need those buttons for a bush jacket. When I was a cadet bush jackets were not a required purchase but they are pretty cheap from naval stores or maybe you get issued one at Dartmouth.

RFA Buttons 4 medium, anodised with split rings, plus 2 with link buttons for 2BW
    White mess jacket. Has 4 buttons for show and the 2 with link hold it together at the front.

RFA Buttons 4 small, anodised with split rings for white mess waistcoat
    Never had waistcoats in my day. See you fancy-schmancy Dartmouthified young-un's these days!

Baun's or whoever can supply what you need. The pretentious 150+ UCAS points cadet insignia has a diamond in the middle of the cadet's stripe.

(I left out mentions of 1A because AFAIK RFA don't carry swords)

Comment

Thanks Steve, I knew someone would know

So if I just ring them and ask for everything on the list Im assuming they will know what I am on about haha
      Forum Admin

Comment

Originally posted by hontoir
        So if I just ring them and ask for everything on the list Im assuming they will know what I am on about haha
        Should do. Just make it clear that you are an engineer cadet (for the purpley or reddish branch coloured bits) and that you need the cadet insignia with diamond for being extra smart. They are well accustomed to supplying cadets. Do the RFA supply your cap and beret badges?

Comment

Im assuming there is no difference between engine and ETO?

And I have not been advised of that.. I have filled out an application form that required head size and glove size..
          Forum Admin

Comment

Yep, caps, badges and berets will be sat on your rack with a mountain of other kit when you get to Hogwarts. Shame about the swords though. ?1500 wasted

Comment

I don't know what they are doing with ETO cadets, I haven't knowingly met one. I suspect there is no difference, since you aren't an SE cadet are you? You are studying for an Engineering OOW Certificate of Competence?

Interesting that they don't mention buttons for No.1 jacket either (8 large). When I joined, the RFA supplied buttons for 1 x No.1 jacket and badges for cap, beret and college uniform blazer. Sounds like they may still be supplying exactly the same and you have to acquire the rest yourself.

Comment

There's no such thing as an SE Cadet... (there are "Sea Cadets" though) SEs are direct entry only at the moment, and the RFA calls its Engine cadets "ETO Cadets", because they do the Warsash ETO course, which is Engine + two electronicky extra modules IIRC ("UK_Academic" has carnal knowledge of such things).
                Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

Originally posted by Steve
                  The pretentious 150+ UCAS points cadet insignia has a diamond in the middle of the cadet's stripe.
                  Was at an RPC last year and was met at the gangway by a dolly sporting the aforementioned epaulettes, I had to ask the lads in the bar exactly who it was that met me!
                  Why they need different insignia baffles me, as regardless of prior qualifications a cadet is a cadet - no doubt another part of the 'evolution' from them in Pompey to bring things in line with RN graduates. Although in the past wearing any kind of diamond without being properly certificated in some form (Deck, Engine, Sparks or Leckie) was a definite no-no.

But certainly, if any cadets are after uniform and you have an RN/RFA ID card, then you can get just about any item of uniform from RN slops stores - good quality and dirt cheap.
                  Other options are Miller Rayner in Southampton (ok but pricey), Baums in Portsmouth (proper RN specific tailors) or if you've got money to burn there's always Gieves & Hawkes on Savile Row.
                  I'd stay away from SM Bass. The kit is invariably poor quality, although cheap, and is more akin to Security Guard style stuff - there's also been some naughtiness in the past regarding fraud.

Comment

Just ordered from Baums at a cringeworthy ?75
                    Forum Admin

Comment

Just wait till you get the rest of it!
                      As a pre sea cadet my company gave me ?150 to purchase all the uniform that was on the list (a page and a half of A4!) and that still didn't cover it.
                      In the end my parents had to fork out the best part of ?400 for all my College and Seagoing gear, with a good chunk of the seagoing gear rarely worn, e.g. No.1s, cap(s) etc (I spent most of my cadetship in the Indian Ocean/Far East/Pacific).

Comment

jeezuss... do you claim that back?!

Comment

I couldn't, as aside from your initial 150 notes, there was no uniform allowance for Officers or Cadets - it was all at own expense. Most shipping companies do not provide a uniform allowance of any kind, passie boats excepted although they will usually supply epaulettes free.
                          There was lots of rather unnecessary duplication with the stuff I bought, and to be quite honest much of it belong 'to another age'.
                          E.g. plain white shirts (not seagoing type with holes/straps) for college, grey trousers for college, blazer for college, black trousers for sea, Long sleeve shirts (with epaulette straps), short sleeves (for shoulder boards), Empire builder white shorts, long white socks, white shoes, black shoes, boots, two caps (1 'working', 1 'Sunday best'!), Reefer Jacket+trousers (both made from Barathea and with company buttons) etc. It went on and on.

I would point out to those who are unaware that it is possible to claim back the cost of some uniform from the Inland Revenue - it is a specific allowance for Merchant Seaman and I think is worth something like ?75, receipts included of course.

Comment

Well I've seen no signs of being charged for mine...

Comment

Yes, if I keep the receipts then I can claim back everything..

So far I have:

?60 for attending RFAIB
                              ?80 ENG1
                              ?95 Hearing test
                              ?95 Audiology Review
                              ?50 Yellow Fever
                              ?75 Sundries !
                              ?40 Fuel

?495.. and thats without extras
                              Forum Admin

Comment

Working...