Question for interview prep-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for interview prep-

On the eve of my interview with Meridian. Suit is ready, shoes are shined.

On a ro-ro/ro-pax; as a deck officer; are you likely to encounter the passengers?

I have an interview tomorrow; and a slice of my metaphorical arsenal; is my excellent customer service experience. My interview is with Meridian; who operate quite a few RoRo/RoPax, so, if it comes up; should I mention it?

Thanks in advance

You don't really have to do much with the cargo on a ro-pax, apart from when loading and that's more traffic direction than chatting. Good customer service skills are always a good thing to demonstrate though, but as officers you're not expected to bend over backwards to accomodate their every whim, but you need to be able to take control of a situation and keep people calm and doing what they're told in an emergency, and the best way of doing that is being polite but firm.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Oh, and Good luck!!!

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Originally posted by billwillis View Post
        On the eve of my interview with Meridian. Suit is ready, shoes are shined.

On a ro-ro/ro-pax; as a deck officer; are you likely to encounter the passengers?

I have an interview tomorrow; and a slice of my metaphorical arsenal; is my excellent customer service experience. My interview is with Meridian; who operate quite a few RoRo/RoPax, so, if it comes up; should I mention it?

Thanks in advance
        As far as I know, Meridian operate Freight Ro/Ro's so if the cargo starts talking to you, time to find a new line of work.

However, if passengers are on board, then chances are no you won't come across them to a vast degree. As S4 said, you're more likely going to be standing there directing traffic than having a chinwag with the passies. Depending on how long the passage is, the Captain *may* invite them up to the bridge for a looksy (mine did) and then being polite generally gets you by. However, I would warn you that if they have Children (5 - 15 years old) then watch them like a hawk as some of the little bastards on one ship of mine caused hell in the engine room by pushing buttons whilst the 3rd Off chatted to the parents (the ****ers closed the water tight doors on us!)

In an emergency they do as S4 says, be polite but firm and make sure you tell them that things will be ok. Don't go running around screaming "We're all going to die!"
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I'll mention it in passing if I can fit it in.

After two RFA comms ratings interview failures, here I go for my first shot at the private sector!!!

I'm half excited, half bricking it. I know what's to gain/lose; outcome pending.

Cheers guys,

Well done S4 on passing your final exam.

Appreciation to you bloggers out there; who give us pre cadetship acceptance biffs an insight into the life of a cadet!

Keep it up!

Comment

Good luck tomorrow! I have an interview/assessment with Meridian later on in the month and am really looking forward to it.

Comment

Compared to the Orals exam it's a breeze!!!

Size4riggerboots

Comment

The office staff at Meridian are all really nice, so you shouldn’t have much trouble there, I had an interview there last year for a shore position, but had to turn the job down as I was finishing off my cadetship at the time. As long as you be yourself and are honest then you should be fine!

Although, I see at this point, you have probably had the interview and are more than likely in a drinking establishment of some description . . . . . and if you’re not, you should be!! Once you sober up and stumble back into realty, tell us how it went?

Comment

No drink for me, yet. I may have a celebratory beer or two tomorrow, hopefully to celebrate the fact I've been offered a deck position.

Really enjoyed the day; I think I did relatively okay at the tests, and the group discussion, and I'd say I did okay at interview. There was more I wanted to say, and I didn't really get it out, but, what's done is done.

I'm quietly confident.

Anyone else, attending a meridian interview my advice to just relax, and enjoy; they're really nice people!

Dan

Comment

Good Luck mate, I hope you get offered a position! =]

Comment

How long do you have to wait to hear back from them?

Comment

Fingers crossed for you by the way

Comment

Cheers guys. Tomorrow or Wednesday.

I'm crossing everything!

Comment

In the bag!

Been offered a place for September, Either at Warsash, or South Tyneside!

I'm so made up. After going down the RFA route; I've pretty much been trying to get a career at sea for about 4 or 5 years. I guess if you are persistent; things eventually fall into place. I now have an offer under my belt;with an excellent company (From all accounts) ; I still have two other interviews in the bag as well. Although I'm more than happy with Meridian.

Comment

That's great news!! Well done, what a great early Christmas present

Comment

Working...
                              X