Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with forthcoming Clyde Marine Interview

Hi all, hope your well.

I've an interview with Clyde Marine next Wednesday to potentially get onto a sponsored Deck Officer HND training course.

Having read a few threads and replies on here, it's looks as though I should have received a CD with my interview confirmation.

I didn't, all I got was a booklet detailing the different types of ships in the merchant fleet.

I understand that they ask some technical and 'general knowledge' questions relating to ships - but not having access to the CD I am little unsure where to get the info so I'm prepared.

Does anyone now what types of 'general knowledge' or technical questions they will ask? Where could I locate general info that will help me prepare for the interview.

Thanks in advance.
    PS. Anybody that replies with a question that they do ask, I'll send them ?10. Awesome.

Hi there, I had an interview with Clyde Marine in Glasgow back in August this year for the PD Marine ENG Course and was accepted.

They don' send out a CD now just the booklet containing details on different types of ships.

Here's some questions that come up in a lot of cadetship interviews.

1/Name at least 5 different types of ships, LPG,LNG,Bulk Carriers,Crude Oil,Cargo,Reefers etc
    2/Number of crew usually found on a certain type of vessel
    3/Name parts of a ship, eg Port/Starboard/Hull/Stern etc
    4/Where do they navigate from.........THE BRIDGE(I would hope you would know that bein a prospective deckie :-)
    5/Dangers on a ship eg Man overboard,fire,piracy
    6/Tasks for an Engine Cadet, in your case Deck
    7/How will you cope with life onboard away from family/friends, possibly no booze etc.
    8/how the training works, college phases,sea phases,training courses etc
    I didn't find there were to many technical questions to be honest and the interview was very relaxed and more like a chat. They ask you about things you do in your spare time and why do you want to join the merchant navy and are you ok with being away from your family that sort of thing.

It will pay off if you do your research, mostly i read through everything on Clydes own training website along with the careers at sea site and wikipedia. To be honest it if fairly simple to get a good idea of what the merchant navy is all about by using the net and also speaking to anybody you know already in the job which for me meant 5 different friends.

Read the sheet they sent you and be able to name some of the sponsors they use and pick 2 to bring up at interview that you would be interested in and know what vessels they have etc.

Good luck, I'm sure you will be fine. Any other questions you have i will be happy to help
    Last edited by CharlieDelta; 22 November 2011, 04:09 PM. Reason: No company-specific questions please! :-)
    Newly qualified Officer #ClubMember

Comment

He pretty much hit the nail on the head, apply what Swonder said and you will* pass!!

*disclaimer
      "My Job"

It's not my place to run the boat
      the fog horn I can't blow.

It's not my place to say just where
      the boat's allowed to go

It's not my right to dock the boat
      or even clang the bell

But let the damn thing
      start to sink AND SEE WHO CATCHES HELL!

Comment

Heyya,

Welcome to the site; I hope you come back often to let us know how you're getting on and share your experiences as you go through your cadetship!

We don't really encourage sharing specific company questions, however you'll find a lot of companies ask the same sorts of things and SWonder's list is pretty good. Apart from that, we have lots of interview threads here on the forums, including the "stickied" Big Interview Tips thread.

All I can say really is be smart, show your enthusiasm and sell yourself. Know your stuff too and you'll be on to a winner.

Good luck!

CD
        Last edited by CharlieDelta; 22 November 2011, 04:09 PM.
        sigpic
        Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Wow, it's been a while since I posted here!
          What Swonder has posted is spot on! I still remember my interview as if it were yesterday.
          Best of Luck and let us know how it goes!

Comment

Good to see you Wilson!
            sigpic
            Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Working...
            X