Meridian Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meridian Interview

Hi guys; I've put a fair few deck applications in over the past few weeks; unsuccessful with Viking, and Chiltern (awaiting feedback) and I've been invited for an interview with Meridian Marine. Sounds like I may have an interview with CMT when they come to Fleetwood next; awaiting to hear from Maersk, SSTG, and Princess. I have a carnival application here to do, and an Anglo eastern that I'm about to send off. No harm in trying them all, I say.

I've been briefed with the interview and what it entails, and I've seen on this forum, that they're pretty decent when it comes to looking after their cadets (In my experience as an applicant, they've been excellent with me)

Is anyone on here a Meridian cadet, or know of anyone who is?

Thoughts?

Cheers

I know of a few Meridian cadets and they are all getting put on RoRo ships in the Gulf Of Mexico, on the Strait of Gibraltar. They seem to be looked after and have good contact with there companies while at college.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with all the interviews. For a bit of interview advice, try to learn as much as you can about the company, and the type of ships it has. Also try to learn a few shipboard terms. The biggest question you need to be able to answer really well is 'Why do you want to goto sea?' and the second biggest 'Why do you want to goto sea with us?'.

Comment

I'm with Meridian, they have begun doing assessments to skim out the ones not well suited enough, usually this is a basic maths test, maybe a nautical test on some key terms etc, Meridian look after there cadets very well and I can't fault them, if you need any more information on the company or anything, give me a private message and ill sort you out
        Life at sea is a life for me

Comment

Cheers, PM on it's way!

Comment

Brimbo. I'm not sure if the notifications I am getting are me sending you the message, or you're replying, and I'm just getting a blank message? In any case, if you don't mind, could you email me? with your response; providing you have read my ramblings.

Cheers

Dan

Mod note: I have pm'd Brimbo for you, with the email address, but we strongly advise people not to post their personal emails on a public forum, there are some people out there.......
            Last edited by size4riggerboots; 14 November 2011, 06:52 PM.

Comment

I am really looking forward to my interview with Meridian. Not too stressed about it; except for maybe the maths test; but I'm sure I'll scrape through; I am after all currently taking a level 2 numeracy course; and teaching myself for the linear GCSE in june; it should be fresh in my mind. Fingers crossed.

I've also applied for quite a few other deck positions, or at least I've gone through the careers at sea website, and identified the one's I'm able to apply for....

Clyde marine - Got told on the phone, they'd be in touch, when they interview at fleetwood- not sure if I'm being interviewed or not though, sounded like it though.
              Viking - Never heard anything from them at all, and it's passed the 28 days.
              SSTG- confirmation email on the 28th OCT- stating a 28 day period after which, it's a NO- 7 days to go.....
              Anglo Eastern - Interview confirmed for March
              Princess- emailed them, heard squat.
              BP- waiting til december, as told to do so by their recruitment,
              Meridian, interview.
              Pritchard gordon - emailed, enquiring about deck positions last month- ignored - re emailed them just now
              Got a carnival application to fill in this weekend.
              Decided not to bother with RFA, I've tried twice, and I can't see me getting past the AIB, really.
              Shell are after degree graduates.
              Chiltern, and trinity house knocked me back- and they "are not able to provide feedback" - would have been interesting to know why though.

So, as it stands at the moment, it looks like I've got three interviews. Is there any companies that I have perhaps missed?

I know it sounds a bit over the top, wanting to apply for as many as possible- but I've been planning for this for the past 3/4 years or so, and I'm eager to get started in September.

cheers

dan

Comment

Pretty standard practice to apply to all companies to be honest .

i don't see MAERSK on the list ?
                Maybe I will never be
                All the things that I want to be
                But now is not the time to cry
                Now's the time to find out why

Comment

I've done pretty much the same thing, suppose it's the spray and pray method!

Maersk - On file until the new year
                  CMT - Letter acknowledging application
                  SSTG - Nothing apart from confirmation email but it's only been 2 weeks
                  Anglo Eastern - Nothing at all.
                  Meridian - Just got an application form

And then going to apply to BP, James Fisher and Pritchard Gordon when they have advised to, December/Jan time.

Just gotta wait I guess.

Comment

Try these companies

Carisbrooke Shipping
                    http://www.carisbrookeshipping.net/

Foreland Shipping which seems to team up with Bibby
                    http://www.foreland-shipping.co.uk/crew_management.html

Red Funnel
                    http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/corporate...t-sponsorship/

Northern Marine
                    http://www.nmm-stena.com/

I hope the links work if not just google the companies names.
                    I did a lot of looking for companies for sponsorship and thought that maybe the smaller, less well know ones may be easier to get an interview with as not as many people applying. I did not test this out though as I was lucky enough to be offered a place by my first, and favourite, company.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by billwillis View Post
                      I am really looking forward to my interview with Meridian. Not too stressed about it; except for maybe the maths test; but I'm sure I'll scrape through; I am after all currently taking a level 2 numeracy course; and teaching myself for the linear GCSE in june; it should be fresh in my mind. Fingers crossed.

I've also applied for quite a few other deck positions, or at least I've gone through the careers at sea website, and identified the one's I'm able to apply for....

Clyde marine - Got told on the phone, they'd be in touch, when they interview at fleetwood- not sure if I'm being interviewed or not though, sounded like it though.
                      Viking - Never heard anything from them at all, and it's passed the 28 days.
                      SSTG- confirmation email on the 28th OCT- stating a 28 day period after which, it's a NO- 7 days to go.....
                      Anglo Eastern - Interview confirmed for March
                      Princess- emailed them, heard squat.
                      BP- waiting til december, as told to do so by their recruitment,
                      Meridian, interview.
                      Pritchard gordon - emailed, enquiring about deck positions last month- ignored - re emailed them just now
                      Got a carnival application to fill in this weekend.
                      Decided not to bother with RFA, I've tried twice, and I can't see me getting past the AIB, really.
                      Shell are after degree graduates.
                      Chiltern, and trinity house knocked me back- and they "are not able to provide feedback" - would have been interesting to know why though.

So, as it stands at the moment, it looks like I've got three interviews. Is there any companies that I have perhaps missed?

I know it sounds a bit over the top, wanting to apply for as many as possible- but I've been planning for this for the past 3/4 years or so, and I'm eager to get started in September.

cheers

dan
                      Application for Pritchard-Gordon Tankers opens in February. Good luck with your applications and interview

Comment

Thanks Jacloc, will send off some applications. Carisbrook seem to say that ideally they want people aged 16-21 but doesn't hurt to apply. (I'm 24, feel a bit old now after reading that lol!)

Comment

"(I'm 24, feel a bit old now after reading that lol!)"

I was 26 when I started, and I'm now 2 weeks away from Orals, if you do the maths you can work out how how ancient I feel after reading that!!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

haha I'm only joking! Did read on the Red Funnel site though that they don't want people over 21 and don't even use the word "ideally" when they're on about age... Good luck with the orals by the way

Comment

Originally posted by Fox View Post
                              haha I'm only joking! Did read on the Red Funnel site though that they don't want people over 21 and don't even use the word "ideally" when they're on about age... Good luck with the orals by the way
                              surely age discrimination laws apply? Can they even say 'we are ideally looking for someone 16-21'? Thats like saying that 'we're ideally looking for someone who is white/straight/blonde haired and blue eyed'?
                              "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

Working...
                              X