X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kayak
    • March 2010

One for steve probably - RFA training

Do RFA cadets/young officers get sent on any RN type courses as part of their training? Or is it all nautical college based with any RFA specific training when on the job?

Not including the likes of BRNC obviously.

Cheers
  • pashton86
    • April 2010

Re: One for steve probably - RFA training

Now, I've seen RFA on JWO/IWO courses but only for the Sea Week phase, which they walk as they're properly trained, though we didn't have any on mine. However I dunno how far down the line they've been when they did it. We definately do PNO and FNO courses but some one older and wiser than I will have to say whether PWO course is still undertaken by RFA Officers.

Comment

• kayak
      • March 2010

I need to brush up on my TLA's

Comment

• dawg
        • March 2010

...not to mention your FLA's - ASAP!
        Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

• pashton86
          • April 2010

Haha, good point sorry chaps . That's what the RN'll do to ya! JWO/IWO is Junior/Initial Warfare Officer course, PNO is Preliminary Navigating Officer's Course, FNO - Fleet Navigating Officer's Course and PWO Principle Warfare Officer's Course.

Comment

• Steve
            • March 2010

Right,

Trainee RFA officers are "cadets" and NEVER "young officers/YOs".

Apart from the Britannia bollocks, you may be sent on a BSSC (Basic Sea Survival Course) as a cadet, but it's not compulsory. I can't think of any other courses that cadets are likely to be sent on but you might get something random or relevant. Your additional RFA learning will be on the job.

As a 3/O(X) you'll need to do the 3 day Officer of the Quarter (OOQ) course before being responsible for bombs and bullets. That's the key one otherwise you'll be limited in what ships you can be appointed to. Your appointer will push you onto it fairly promptly. I say "3 day" but it's a typical navy 1 day course squeezed into 3.

I suppose WECDIS (type specific and generic ECDIS training) is fairly compulsory now too. Might even get on that as a cadet.

Promotion to 2/O(X) essentially requires PDO (Point Defence Officer) which is a 5 week course on directing guns, popping chaff and countering the Soviet hordes.

You can do JWO/IWO but I've no idea why you'd want to. 1/O(X) can do PWO(A) or SpecN (PWO(N) isn't it?) if they fancy, and they are very good for career progression. Also all sorts of staff courses and other bollocks.

Navy courses for junior officers are fairly easy except for navigation (FNO/PNO/SpecN).

Comment

• pashton86
              • April 2010

That's some of the best news I've heard all day. Avoidance of Collingwood is never a bad thing. Just a quick one Steve, is the PDO course fairly analagous to the RN Gunnery Officer's course?

Comment

• Steve
                • March 2010

Originally posted by pashton86
                is the PDO course fairly analagous to the RN Gunnery Officer's course?
                I haven't done the RN Funnery Officer's course, so I couldn't say for certain. ;-)

However, it definitely has an element of commonality with the Small Ships Gunnery Officer's course, if that's the one you have in mind. The last two weeks of the PDO course are concerned with close range weapons. The first three weeks draw quite heavily on elements of the PO(AWW) course.

Comment

• pashton86
                  • April 2010

Much obliged Steve,

Comment

Working...
                  X