Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had an interview with clyde marine on Monday and got my offer on Tuesday and can't fault the process so far. But interview wise i would fully recommend that you memorise the speeds and crews of the ten ships on which they send you information on. Also be aware that this is a test on what you know about your potential future career so know progression through the ranks, roles and responsibility's etc. Make a mind map of everything you can find out about the a career in the merchant navy and it may be long winded but i found the only way to memorise the ship information was to group the numbers and write them out again and again until you can say them off the top of your head. feel free to pm me if you need any advice or have any queries and most of all good luck!

Comment

I had an interview at SSTG with Steve Abrahart last week, and to be honest it wasn't nearly as terrifying as some of the posts about technical knowledge on here potentially make it sound. I think just be honest, straightforward, and be aware that professional recruiters can smell bull**** a mile off. I went in knowing roughly what I'd be getting myself into, but I definitely didn't know any existing shipping routes or detailed technical information about specific ships.

I agree with the people who've said make sure you know why you want to take the path you do and why you want to be a Merchant Mariner. I think really being able to demonstrate that this is a passion for you and that you've given serious thought to the implications of spending 8 months a year at sea are probably more important to them than things that can be taught at college.

Also, make sure you're aware that you aren't going to be standing on a ships bridge in a pretty uniform chucking orders about whilst swanning around the world on a lovely working holiday. Whatever happens, don't panic!

Good luck

Comment

Just to throw my pennies worth in, I'd say to make sure you have answers to competency based questions (eg. Can you tell me about a time when you were part of a team?) and that your answer clearly ticks off the competencies they're looking for. Practice talking to a friend/family member if it help but above all, be confident and sell yourself.
        'Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans'

Comment

Hi guys just read all of the thread and there is many great tips to know/learn. However, a few days ago I had an unexpected phone call from a fantastic company and which I know is perfect for me. They interviewed me over the phone and offered me an interview the following week (this upcoming week) for January 2014. Just about to go out and buy a suit, know/revised a lot about the company all ready.. Could anyone give me some crucial/key tips? I am being interviewed by two people. Have never had such a 'serious' interview before - only part time jobs/summer jobs etc. Thanks!

Comment

From my experience their likely to ask, 'give me a situation where you acted as part of a team' 'give me a situation where you overcome a obstacle' so try get a few different examples, obviously why you want to do a cadetship and why this company.

Comment

Any specific tips or hints for CMT I have an interview on Thursday so was looking for any up do date news on what there looking/what I should know
              Also they have sent me out some stuff to learn on different vessels but don't know which ones there most likely to ask there is about 7 different types :/?
              Thanks any help appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by andrewM View Post
                Any specific tips or hints for CMT I have an interview on Thursday so was looking for any up do date news on what there looking/what I should know
                Also they have sent me out some stuff to learn on different vessels but don't know which ones there most likely to ask there is about 7 different types :/?

I had my interview with CMT in January but I applied for engine not deck :/ But for the vessel questions it was pretty straight forward they just asked me how many crew speed of the ship for about 2 of them, I just remembered the key facts about each vessel, speed and crew and then related back to facts about it when I was answering also how many ship types. I also used a few shipping terms and stuff just to show vocabulary also got asked about where I would be if I was at the bow of the ship. Then things about the engine room. But alot of it was about how you would deal being at sea and stuff. Also at the end when they ask you if you have any questions try and ask them a few to show your keen and have thought about it.

Good Luck!

Comment

Okay thanks mate any good ideas for question I realise questions are specific to each person haha but any interesting ones that are good general questions to ask

Comment

Well done for getting an interview with CMT, I'm still waiting!! I have had an email with an attached letter explaining that my application is being processed and that they will be in touch in due course about interview. I'm not sure if that Letter even means I'll be lucky enough to get one? I'll be looking on here after Thursday to see how it went for you- and to quiz you about the questions!! Good luck.

Comment

Yeah I will keep you updated mate good luck!

Comment

Okay thanks mate any good ideas for question I realise questions are specific to each person haha but any interesting ones that are good general questions to ask

I asked about college accommodation and parking if you decide to drive up and down every day as I live near and also questions about what happens on your first sea trip, try ask questions that are thought out and like a year down the line at college and stuff just to show you've researched it and understand what your taking on because the interviewer will most likely be able to see if you are actually suited and a potential cadet by the way you come across to them in the interview, your online application was good enough but now its just selling yourself to them and getting the points to hopefully get through

Comment

I have an interview with clyde marine this week and was just wondering of anyone could give me ideas of questions I could ask them? Everything else with the interview I am very confident I can answer but could do with a few more questions I could ask them? Many thanks

Comment

Hi! All the information on this thread is extremely helpful!
                            I have an interview next week with Carnival UK providing I get past the tests, and I was just wondering if anyone has any tips to help me with the interview. Any information would be great! Thanks☺️

Comment

How did your interview go?

Comment

Yeah got an offer mate cheers for asking, they replied the next day on the Friday haha I couldn't believe it. I now have my medical this Friday hoping all goes well with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X