Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viking Recruitment - What companies?

Hi again all.

This company has just rang me to arrange an interview, but we couldn't agree on a date so they're gonna get in contact again next week.

My question is; what companies do they work on behalf of?

Their website has broke (well, my browser has broke), and I can't find out much about them...

Anyone have any useful info on them, their interviews, or anything?

Officer Trainees (Cadets)

Our principal Clients are arguably some of the most prestigious of the major cruise line operators in the world, and between them they operate fleets of classically designed vessels.
    These fleets visit exotic destinations and are run to the highest standards of safety, service and professionalism by the onboard officers.
    It is through our company and into the exciting and demanding environment of the cruise line industry that we wish to encourage prospective Deck (Navigation), Engineer and Electrotechnical Officers. The courses and career paths are very different, although all types of Officers share the same promotion opportunities, terms and conditions and career development prospects
    you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Holland America, Fred Olsen and Windstar mainly. Not sure if they're still doing TUI (or what used to be Island Cruises)
      sigpic
      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Thought Windstar had gone "in house"?
        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
        Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
        No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Not sure - their website still points to Viking for all officer vacancies.

I'd say with Viking the chances are 75% HAL and 25% Fred Olsen, going by the split at Warsash.
          sigpic
          Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Comment

Thanks for enlightening me. But, another question has presented itself!

Not to sound big headed here; but this is in the best case scenario:

What if clyde marine accept me at the interview, then viking also accept me?

This would be the problem; I would prefer to go with viking, but they only offer the FdSc course. Which means I need to wait 'til August 18th to find out if I have 120 UCAS pts.

What is the latest date I can reject Clyde's offer? Surely by the 18th I would have already booked accomodation or something?
            But if I don't get the 120 UCAS points, I would have no company to go with

If that made no sense, I will try reword it tomorrow. I'm tired

Comment

As for interview tips - look at their companies, primarily HAL and Fred Olsen but might be worth looking at Windstar too. Know a bit about their history, ships and what sort of "experience" they offer passengers. For example, HAL is considered a mainstream cruise line, on the higher end of the spectrum. Not outright luxury, but not cheap and cheerful. Fred Olsen tends to attract older passengers, with smaller ships and some interesting itineraries. Windstar offers something different altogether, but from what I understand still aims at the more luxurious end of the market.

Find out what the difference are between officer's jobs on cruise ships and cargo ships. A lot is the same but there are some passenger-facing aspects. You need to show that you are mature, confident and comfortable with people you don't know. You need to smile a lot and be able to make people comfortable and want to speak with you. Cruise ship officers are very visible to passengers, and passengers love officers - especially deck and technical. They want to know lots about you, what you do, why you're there, why your stripe goes the wrong way. You need to be articulate and reasonably well-spoken. Having said that, be yourself. Don't put on any airs or graces - you are who you are and they'll either like you or not.

Make sure you fix a date next time you hear from them or they may lose interest. Show you are enthusiastic.
              sigpic

Comment

It makes sense and is quite a dilemma - how confident do you feel on the UCAS points front?
                sigpic

Comment

That helps a lot Charlie, thanks so much!

Well... I'm not entirely sure about 120 UCAS points. I'm awaiting 4 AS-level results, I know I failed one completely. But I need C and above in the other 3 to get 120, which I think is possible. 70% chance of getting 120, I would estimate is where my confidence is.

Comment

It's difficult, but give it a go and see how it goes. People are usually pessimistic about exam results - you may have done better than you think.
                    sigpic

Comment

I had a call last night too. What dates were they suggesting for interview? I'm waiting for them to decide if a tattoo behind my ear is too visible to decide to offer me an interview or not?

Comment

Well, annoyingly the woman emailed me today suddenly hailing that I'm too young (by 15 days, to be exact).

This is after she confirmed my age and D.O.B. yesterday by phone, way to go get someones hopes up... But, she offered the 3rd of August, to which I said I was on holiday, but I actually have a Clyde Marine i'view then.

Goodluck getting an interview with your tattoo though

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta View Post
                          As for interview tips - look at their companies, primarily HAL and Fred Olsen but might be worth looking at Windstar too. Know a bit about their history, ships and what sort of "experience" they offer passengers. For example, HAL is considered a mainstream cruise line, on the higher end of the spectrum. Not outright luxury, but not cheap and cheerful. Fred Olsen tends to attract older passengers, with smaller ships and some interesting itineraries. Windstar offers something different altogether, but from what I understand still aims at the more luxurious end of the market.

Find out what the difference are between officer's jobs on cruise ships and cargo ships. A lot is the same but there are some passenger-facing aspects. You need to show that you are mature, confident and comfortable with people you don't know. You need to smile a lot and be able to make people comfortable and want to speak with you. Cruise ship officers are very visible to passengers, and passengers love officers - especially deck and technical. They want to know lots about you, what you do, why you're there, why your stripe goes the wrong way. You need to be articulate and reasonably well-spoken. Having said that, be yourself. Don't put on any airs or graces - you are who you are and they'll either like you or not.

Make sure you fix a date next time you hear from them or they may lose interest. Show you are enthusiastic.
                          Just idle input, sorry if it's a tad off thread.
                          My Dad whom worked for Carnival in it's very early days was telling me about an Italian Staff
                          Captain, super guy by all accounts named "Argeo Del Tin" from a Cargo Ship background. Following 3 months aboard a Cruise Ship out of Miami he couldn't wait to get back to Cargo and resigned to return. Apparently he said the B S of having to dress up most nights and makA small talk drove himmA Crazy; (Does a Great Italian Accent).

Comment

That is strange!
                            I haven't heard back yet, I won't be surprised if I don't get an interview, but it is actually barely noticeable. I considered not telling them as its covered by my hair 99.9% of the time, even when its tied back and I'd had it 3 years before my folks even noticed, but thought better be safe than sorry! Did explain this to her, see what they say though hey!

Comment

Working...
                            X