X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuart T
    replied
    Hi Josh
    I've just turned 16 and I've been accepted through Clyde marine on the condition i get my exam results (which come on the 4th August). I wouldn't worry about being overlooked because of your age as its not your age that counts but whether your enthusiastic and committed about working at sea.

Leave a comment:

• Jonny
    replied
    Really? Cruise ships are the one vessel type I'm not wanting on.

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    I wouldn't have all your hopes set on cruise ships. They are difficult to get into because EVERYONE wants cruise ships (Is it the uniforms, passenger impressions, what?).

The only thing you need to do is find a company that will take you on so you can get your OOW ticket. Once you have that, then apply for cruise ships.

Leave a comment:

• CharlieDelta
    replied
    No problem, that's why the site's here! We needed a place where the millions of questions prospective and current cadets have could be asked!

There's always the option of doing your A-Levels and then going down the Foundation Degree route. If you were to do that, most sponsoring companies look kindly on maths/physics and other sciency subjects. Though in saying that, if this is 100% what you want to do, then you might as well go straight in on the HND when you can.

Any sort of work experience is good - it shows a degree of independence, responsibility and maturity. College-wise, anything that seems relevant - again maths or science subjects. Sailing or watersports experience helps but is by no means necessary. To put it simply, as long as you meet the entry requirements, you're sorted. Any other qualifications or experience is a bonus. Remember, they're not looking for navigational geniuses or people who can analyse a GZ curve in a matter of seconds - they're looking for enthusiastic, mature, independent and capable people who they can train.

Personally, I applied to a cruise company at 22, with 4 years in the airline industry behind me, though you certainly don't need that much experience - many come straight from school.

Get applications in anyways! If you post them in (such as with Carnival), include a nice, well-worded cover letter telling them clearly and concisely why you want to be a deck cadet and what you have to offer.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how you get on and come back if you have any questions or experiences to share!

Leave a comment:

• Jd95
    replied
    Thanks Charlie, I'll definatley start sending out applications! If I don't hear anything back, what sort of courses would it be worth my while taking at college, ( make me look more appealing?). Another thing is, if my application was too late for the January intake, will it carry over for the next intake next september? Thanks again, you're most helpful!

Leave a comment:

• CharlieDelta
    replied
    Hi Josh,

Cadets have been starting at 16 for as long as cadetships have been around! The HNC/HND route is there for just that reason. There were quite a few 16 year olds in my intake.

Carnival UK have taken on under-18s in the past, not too sure about Princess. Cruise companies do seem to prefer over-18s, though that's not set in stone.

If you're open to possibilities apart from cruise ships, I'd very much encourage you to send out as many applications as you can. Clyde Marine and SSTG always seems to have a healthy number of younger applicants, as do Maersk.

Cruise companies get a huge number of applications so it may take some time for you to hear back depending on when they're recruiting for - there's a good chance they'll have January filled by now, if not at least shortlisted.

Definitely get a few applications out and see what comes back!

CD

Leave a comment:

• Jd95
    started a topic Is age a problem?

Is age a problem?

Hi my names Josh, I've recently (5 days ago) applied for a cadetship with princess cruises (sent them my CV), i got the auto-email back saying well be in touch shortly if you meet our entry requirements etc, but I only left school in June, so I'm only 16, now I meet the requirement grades indicated on their website (a*-c I believe?) but I was wondering if because of my age and the fact I have no degree etc, will this cause me to be overlooked? And my other question was, how long does it usually take them to get back to you? Thanks
Working...
X