WMA Navigation Instruments for Phase 1 Deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WMA Navigation Instruments for Phase 1 Deck

Perhaps this question should be placed on the "Navigation Forum"?

My Dad has various spare instruments, i.e. Graduated Squares, Breton Plotter, Parallel Rules, Dividers, plus.
    Please advise if there are rigid rules (no pun intended) on what we use or do we use instruments provided if indeed they are?
    Also never being without a Notebook is emphasised in numerous postings, is there an optional size ie, A6 Ruled or graph to stick in a pocket for transferring later ?

Thanks

You won't need any special instruments until you are a few weeks in, and then only for chartwork. All I had was a set of parallel rules (24") and brass compasses (9"). You don't even really need dividers unless you already own a pair or fancy splashing out on some anyway. I found the compasses worked fine.

As for a notebook, don't stress too much about that. You are right in that the joining instructions say that this must be carried at all times but no one checks nor do most people carry one anyway.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Standard chartwork kit is parallel rules (biggest you can manage), dividers, compass and 2B pencils. Maso210 is quite right though, you can use your compass instead of dividers, though on large scale charts you may sacrifice some accuracy. For college chartwork you'll also need one of those tube-case jobbies.

There are various substitutes for the parallel rules, including plotters, triangles and so on, but Warsash expect you to use rules.

If you're on the HND, don't worry about chartwork instruments until phase three.

The notebook is unnecessary for college, just get yourself some decent, high-quality (i.e. non-see-through) refill pads. When at sea, I'd recommend keeping a small notebook (back pocket size) and camera with you all the time.
      sigpic
      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta View Post
        Standard chartwork kit is parallel rules (biggest you can manage), dividers, compass and 2B pencils. Maso210 is quite right though, you can use your compass instead of dividers, though on large scale charts you may sacrifice some accuracy. For college chartwork you'll also need one of those tube-case jobbies.

There are various substitutes for the parallel rules, including plotters, triangles and so on, but Warsash expect you to use rules.

If you're on the HND, don't worry about chartwork instruments until phase three.

The notebook is unnecessary for college, just get yourself some decent, high-quality (i.e. non-see-through) refill pads. When at sea, I'd recommend keeping a small notebook (back pocket size) and camera with you all the time.
        Camera, any particular type recommended, water proof? and in the main what are you shooting? Thanks

Comment

generaly your shooting things for reports so its either an overview of some piece of equipment or detailed work, a decent flash is good and while waterproof isnt that useful, if you drop it in the sea knowing it worked all the way to the bottom isnt going to be any comfort, saying that does mean you cna take shots in the rain, i find the olympus? tough ones good waterproof ish and you can drop them which is more likely going to happen.

After that if your going to nice places get something with a decent optical zoom, as often you will be somewhere nice but just a little to far away for the cheap x3 lenses

get one with a rechargeable battery as well, and jsut dont forget the cable saves having to beg for new batteries all the time.
          you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Working...
          X