Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How well do you need to be able to swim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How well do you need to be able to swim?

IDK where else to put this :P

Are any of the swimming related things without life jackets?

Is there a swimming test without life jackets? etc?

Are there swimming lessons on offer from them?

Urgh, I'm crap at swimming and want to go to sea... I am a fool.

The Personal Survival Techniques course involves wet drills in a swimming pool (some private training companies use the sea but all the colleges use pools). You have a lifejacket on the whole time, and need to jump in from a height, swim around a bit, get in a liferaft, right a capsized liferaft.

For your lifeboat ticket you'll have a lifejacket, though you shouldn't end up in the water!

Despite this, I'd seriously recommend becoming a more confident swimmer. It could safe your life if you fall overboard.

Here's a post from my blog where someone asked a similar question:
    http://charliedelta.officercadet.com...and-more-snow/
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Thanks CharlieDelta! Your answer covered everything I was looking for, now I'm reading other posts on your blog, very interesting!

Comment

I was told at my interview you don't need to be able to swim at all, Just be comfortable in water as everything is done with life jackets.

Comment

It'll be updated soon with the last four months of my trip, hopefully!
          sigpic
          Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Comment

Thanks Lewis, I'm glad to hear that!

And I'll look forward to it CharlieD, I've favourited it

Comment

I can't swim that well haha but water confident I am also a sailing instructor and river kayaker lmao
              Be what you want to be not what other people tell you to be
              Adapt and over come
              Careers At Sea Ambassador

Comment

I can't swim at all, can't even tread water, and I've sailed across the Atlantic 3 times on small sail boats, one was only a 25 footer. In the days of sailing ships most sailors couldn't swim, at least that's what I was told on my tour around HMS Victory. I think the idea is not to fall in.

Comment

Originally posted by John 45 View Post
                  I can't swim at all, can't even tread water, and I've sailed across the Atlantic 3 times on small sail boats, one was only a 25 footer. In the days of sailing ships most sailors couldn't swim, at least that's what I was told on my tour around HMS Victory. I think the idea is not to fall in.
                  Maybe and of course one should always have a life jacket on anyway in situations like that. To the OP - its worth improving your swimming in general, a good "life skill" so to speak and one day you may need to to help yourself or others (not saying be a hero or anything, but if you can/need to help a friend or family member all well and good). Any local pool will have adult lessons for "improvers" - I have done this and it is no sweat, no-one takes the piss or anything like that.

Also good for shedding a few excess pounds!

Comment

I've swum a fair amount, and ive also done it in the middle of the atlantic with the closest land 4 miles (down) even with no wind keeping up with a boat is hard work and this was just drifting in no wind, as they will tell you on the course if you fall in protect yourself and conserve your energy you wont keep up with a ship trying will just **** you
                    you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Besides the whole point of ships is to keep you inside and the water out. If you find yourself in the water you probably have bigger issues than not being able to swim.

Comment

I think not being able to swim, or rather not being able to keep yourself afloat without a lifejacket is quite a big issue should you fall in. Even if you're noticed quickly, you'll still have to wait for recovery.

People going overboard is rare, but it happens.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta View Post
                          I think not being able to swim, or rather not being able to keep yourself afloat without a lifejacket is quite a big issue should you fall in. Even if you're noticed quickly, you'll still have to wait for recovery.

People going overboard is rare, but it happens.
                          people float, you dont have to do anything to keep yourself there (having seen a body at sea i know this ) survival with or with out a lifejacket the principles are the same you dont swim, and you wait, thrashing your ar around in freezing cold water will kill you.

Comment

And those not comfortable with keeping themselves afloat will likely do just that - thrash about.
                            sigpic

Comment

yup so they need to know how what to do to give themselves the best chance, which isnt swiming. Personally i think everyone should be able to swim, my point is more that theres a difference between knowing how to swim and knowing what to do when your in the water.

Comment

Working...
                              X