Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ropes/Knots

Hi guys

I'll be starting my Engineering PD in September and I've bought an instructional kit on tying knots. I'll be working my way through the whole book but I was just wondering if there are any knots in particular that are used more frequently than others or any that I should focus on?

Thanks very much
    Ross

Think more about brushing up your maths, physics and skill at hand stuff (tools, drawing) if possible rather than rope work as you are a trainee engineer.

Comment

as your engineering i would suggest a bowline (loop) truckers hitch (gives a mechanical advantage) sheet bend (for joining to the longer piece of rope you should have used in the first place) monkeys fist (great for prostate massage) reef knot (insert use here) rolling hitch (for when you want to tie to the middle of another rope/wire and pull it) and a box lashing (for securing the top of your ladder to something)

for general using rope to aid other stuff thats about it the whips and stops are more going to be for deckies, and while you can lash and sling heavy stuff with rope its generally best practice to use tested slings, google 'japanese rope bondage' that will teach you some proper knots that can be used while your on leave
      you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Originally posted by Squareleg28 View Post
        Think more about brushing up your maths, physics and skill at hand stuff (tools, drawing) if possible rather than rope work as you are a trainee engineer.
        oh yeah you might want to do that as well

Comment

I wouldnt bother at all tbh, engineers knots are just a large mess designed to hold stuff, but to be fair the bosun / AB's / motorman will sort it out and use a lot less string than we do and be way more effective
          Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
          Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
          No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if the engineers would handle a lot of rope related tasks, but I figured it couldn't hurt!

Cheers guys

Comment

Handy Billy (aka Convenient William) is your friend for lifting. And chain blocks too. Or if it's very heavy get something powered!

The bowline can be used for so many things, including hauling you out of the water. Round turn and two half hitches, clove hitch, sheet bend and reef knot may also come in handy.

Or, if you can't tie knots, tie lots!
              sigpic
              Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta View Post
                Or, if you can't tie knots, tie lots!
                The engineers mantra as far as knots are concerned
                Trust me I'm a Chief.

No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
                  I wouldnt bother at all tbh, engineers knots are just a large mess designed to hold stuff, but to be fair the bosun / AB's / motorman will sort it out and use a lot less string than we do and be way more effective
                  i thought that was just engineering all over?

Comment

I've seen a few good stay-put knots in the e/r. As long as you wrap it round its self a good few times you'll be fine :P

Comment

Biggest is best and if need be join more than 1 piece of rope together
                      Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

4 useful knots:

Bowline, a temporary eye in the end of a rope.

Bowline on the bight, a bowline tied in the bight of a rope. Useful as a rescue knot, eye has two loops so can be used to hoist someone out of a tank.

Sheet Bend, used to tie two pieces of rope with unequal diameter together.

Reef Knot, used to tie two pieces of rope with equal diameter together.

Talking in base essentials of knot tieing that's all you'd need to know.

To boldly go.....
                        Forum Administrator
                        OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Originally posted by Randomist View Post
                          4 useful knots:

Bowline, a temporary eye in the end of a rope.

Bowline on the bight, a bowline tied in the bight of a rope. Useful as a rescue knot, eye has two loops so can be used to hoist someone out of a tank.

Sheet Bend, used to tie two pieces of rope with unequal diameter together.

Reef Knot, used to tie two pieces of rope with equal diameter together.

Talking in base essentials of knot tieing that's all you'd need to know.

to be acurate a single sheet bend is used for ropes of the same diameter, while a double sheet bend is used for ropes of unequal sizes with the smaller rope being used for the complicated bit

Comment

Brilliant. Great responses. I'll have to give the book a good flip through then

Thanks again guys
                            Cheers

Comment

http://www.officercadet.com/showthre...y-sailor-needs
                              posted a few weeks a go has a screen saver with useful knots and fastenings :P

Comment

Working...
                              X