Too late for September?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too late for September?

Hey guys, possibly a ridiculous question but does anyone know when applications for most companies close? I didn’t think I would be back in time from my Summer job to make the college, turns out it might work out quite well if they are still open? Also hold me C1/D visa from previous work on cruise ships and a Norwegian medical if that can replace my ENG1?
    Cheers

Post moved to its own topic.

CD
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Never too late to try, I got into the Jan intake when I applied in Nov, I was very very lucky though! I think the big umbrella companies have closed their books for the moment while they go through the backlog of applications, and Carnival was very slow at getting back to me when I applied too. The worst that can happen is thay they say " Sorry we're not looking at applications at the moment, please try later". The C/D1 will be very useful, but I think you'd have to get and ENG1 done, the company should pay for it though so don't worry about it. It sounds like you've got a background of being at sea, so use that to your advantage, got any contacts you can wangle an "in" with?

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Well that gives me a bit of hope then, already had a fewback saying they are full for September, but I’ll keep trying. Unfortunately don’tthink I’ll be able to get in with the Miracle, was all Italian officers, IBelieve they take cadets from an Italian college.

If I have to wait until next January or September is thereany reading or areas of subjects I should go over which will help for when I eventuallystart?

Comment

Gcse level maths, and get some flip cards and start learning flags, lights and shapes and morse. Why not get some time in on a tall ship too? Pelican of london is offering cheap trips at the mo, there's also the tall ships youth trust and the jubilee sailing trust, on a tall ship you'll learn great basic seamanship and start learning about chartwork and navigation if you're keen and ask nicely.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Depending on who you are applying to some places offer taster trips on sail training boats, unless you really fancy a week on a ship I wouldnt rush to spend the money, for 400/500 quid to learn how to stopper a rope and some basic navigation its not really worth it. there are some good RYA nav books and i think you can mail order the practice charts if you fancy just working out some of it by yourself, depends on how much if any you know already. the packs of flash cards are a good way of learning the lights, sounds,flags, signals (used these a lot when i was teaching). a decent book on Met is always going to be handy and dont forget the rules of the road which your going to need to know inside out.
            you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Working...
            X