Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Final Interview & Medical on Monday...oooh eck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Interview & Medical on Monday...oooh eck!

Well, the subject says it all really! I'll post what happened when I get back....

Re: Final Interview & Medical on Monday...oooh eck!

Good luck, just avoid the drugs for a bit!!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Drugs....on the Isle of Wight!! Goodness we're a family resort-they simply don't exist over here!!

Luckily I don't drink or smoke nasty things, so should be fine

Comment

Whooo Hoooo! ENG1 in my hand now, interview dealt with and now I know for sure where I'll be for the next three years!
        My sponsor certainly isn't the most glamorous of companies, but they pay well, I saw them dealing with stranded crew and seemed very genuine and quick to respond for them, they are giving me a hire car to travel from home to ship cause I hate railway travel and are even prepared to let me accrue time off so that I can spend the summer with my other half (who is a teacher). All in all, pretty imporessive and well organised place-just have to make sure that I never let them down now and get on in college.

Comment

Nice one!

Where you gonna be?

Size4riggerboots

Comment

The great North Sea...........nice and bumpy! It's quite good as they offer a fortnight on the ships before starting college to give you the chance to see everything first hand before stepping foot in the classroom.

Comment

Nice one mate, it must be a great relief...
              Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

Originally posted by steamer
                they offer a fortnight on the ships before starting college to give you the chance to see everything first hand before stepping foot in the classroom.
                WOW! That's awesome! Which company is that? And where you going to be at college?

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Boston Putford (Seacor), hopefully I'll be studying at Warsash. The thing that astounded me was being put off from driving to Lowestoft in my own car, but being given a hire car to drive up instead! It seems from talking to them that they have a shortage of cadets due to some unfair misconceptions about their work. The fact is that they seem to treat their staff very well, the pay is higher than most and they take the view that they are training cadets up for a job with them at the end of the course....

Comment

Are you saying that they still have vacancies?!

Do they that one that pays ?707 a month? Or is that North Star something or other?

Here's some comments about them...
                    http://www.deck-officer.info/forum/view ... 32d1bcc94c

Are the people you actually talk to (who manage you as a cadet) actually Southern Crewing Services Ltd. rather than BPOS?

Comment

You deal with Southern Crewing Services directly (they are owned by Seacor), there is a training officer and an assistant training officer as well as the general personel team. The impression that I was given is that there is still about 15 places still available, perhaps because some are put off by the non glamorous aspect of the job. Pay increases each year of the course and works out at about ?23ish per day rising to just under ?30 per day in the final year.
                      They pay a daily rate to encourage people to actually turn up at college, and pay you in the same way when on leave. SSTG also pay an accomodation allowance of approx ?110 per week which is on top of that recieved from the company.
                      Personally, I am really excited to learn my trade with a super safety concious company in what can only be described as hostile conditions. I feel that having to confront the elements and mega tides will make me a better, more prepared seafarer than those working in the leisure/cargo industry who will actively avoid unpleasant weather for the comfort of their passengers, or for the safety of their cargo. Boston Putford could best be described as an offshore lifeboat service who operate stand by safety and platform supply. I'm sure that there will be periods of boredom, but there is so much to learn in such a short space of time that I am sure that I will be able to cope with that!!
                      The rotation with BPtd is usually 4/2 although as my other half is a teacher, they seemed agreeable to me working some occasional 6/1 to accrue time off during the school summer holidays.
                      The big thing that is pushed in the induction and in all of the company blurb is their 'Goal Zero' policy-basically they have systems in place to get crew to aspire to achieve zero risk/accidents in the workplace. Basically, I'm well impressed!

Comment

That's funny... I applied to SSTG last week, and got bounced, not exactly sure why.

From what I gather, OSVs (the supply ships that BPOS seem to have) are more of a challenge than boxboats.
                        Sounds like you've got a good company...

Comment

Really? Maybe they're filtering people through and the sponsor company don't have everybody's details yet? I have nothing but praise for SSTG also-they have been great putting up with me so far!!

Comment

Yeah, I suppose.

Mind you, I got an e-mail from Carnival this morning inviting me to apply - and that's unheard of!!! Normally they don't respond to anyone by e-mail from what I gather!

It's a baffling industry.

Comment

Totally understand what you're saying!! Recruitment does seem very haphazard and unstructured with some companies. Have you tried Carisbrooke Shipping-they're recruiting at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X