Is it possible to volunteer on ships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to volunteer on ships?

Has anyone done this, and if so where when and how?

I have the summer to kill and think it would be fun and a great experience.

Prob not on commercial stuff due to insurance reasons. Try things like jubilee sailing trust, tall ships trust etc

Comment

Sorry to say you won't get a volunteer place on a tall ship until you've done a couple of trips as trainee crew first (i.e. paying them!) and proved yourself. I know the TS Pelican is doing some discounted voyages this summer, so that could be a good chance to get a foot in the door on the (relatively) cheap!!

http://www.adventureundersail.com/

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

I'm sure if you've got your basic training done then the Mercy Ships could do something with you (you'd be paying them again)....
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
          I'm sure if you've got your basic training done then the Mercy Ships could do something with you (you'd be paying them again)....
          Only if you've got the god thing going though; no heathens allowed.

Depending upon where you are located there may be volunteer-run vessels to get on, although they tend not to sail very much or very far, and you'll be doing mucky maintenance work mainly; chip, paint, rinse and repeat. The SS Shieldhall is a better known one, there are others around the country, some are independent and some are associated with museums. Google should reveal some, or maybe a gander through Sea Breezes, ask your local chapter of the World Ship Society/PSPS.
          '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
          just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
          down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
          new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

*cough* Sea Cadets *cough*
            Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
            Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
            No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Nasty cough you have there Chiefy I looked into Sea Cadets but the upper age limit is 18 so would have 2 months only and would feel a bit of a tit with all the 12 yr olds.
              Am looking at some of the other options tho, seems I can pay about ?200 for a short trip on a tall ship which would be amazing and then hopefully get in that way.

Not sure about the whole God thing but will Google them

thanks again

Comment

God is on Google?

Other thing to think of if you live near the sea, are there any fishermen, sight seeing ships or similar, thye might be interested in having a helper for the summer season, not proper sailing but it's something
                Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Google IS God Chiefy, get with it!!

Comment

Definitely have a look at tall ships - yes, you have to pay but by all accounts it's a fantastic experience and a great way to learn some more traditional seamanship. Charities like the Jubilee Sailing Trust also recruit relief deck officers so once you've got your ticket you could go and do some work in your leave, and a proven history of crewing on tall ships could only benefit. Jubilee also look for volunteers for maintenance both in the UK and abroad - basically you volunteer your time during a set maintenance period (see the website) and they give you a berth and feed you (very well) for the days you're there. You don't actually go anywhere but it's all good experience.

If you're ever down Southampton way, SS Shieldhall is always looking for new volunteers for maintenance and as crew during the summer season. She's just been to dry-dock after a massively succesful fundraising campaign (?80,000+) but isn;t sailing at the moment because the survey found some corroded frames which will need a bit of work. Still, a great project that I'm proud to say I've contributed time and money to.
                    sigpic
                    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Originally posted by cadetwannabe View Post
                      Nasty cough you have there Chiefy I looked into Sea Cadets but the upper age limit is 18 so would have 2 months only and would feel a bit of a tit with all the 12 yr olds.
                      What about the RNR then? The TA used to run some thing as an intro for people called summer challenge. Was about 6 weeks over sumer got feed, watered and paid. Maybe the RNR does something similar.

Comment

Working...
                      X