Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living abroard.

Hey,

As I was doing some reading on the MN I read that alot of officers do not live in the UK but live elsewhere. I was wondering if anyone here does this ? And if so would it be arrangeable for something cheeky ? Cheeky like, getting the company (or trying to) send you to a different each country every time you are not working to have a look around ?

Also what are the limitations on this and any advice ? Because this sounds like something that would interest me greatly when I am accepted to be a cadet

Re: Living abroard.

I live in Asia, and whoever I work for always fly me back there, no problems. A lot of companies allow you to arrange flight diversions at the end of a contract to fly somewhere different, or defer your flight to a week or so after you disembark so that you can check out the places.
    When I was a cadet, I signed off in singapore and asked the company if i could stay an extra 4 days, and the company actually paid for my hotel surprisingly.

Comment

Yeh the local leave is a good thing. My company will gladly send me out to barbados for 2 weeks prior to joining (if i'm joining there). Shame i nearly always join in southampton but one time 3 days in new york was good.

Plus, any one looking to move to australia. They're now desperate and marine engineers get an extra few points towards there application.

Comment

Thats awesome, thanks for the info guys, ill definitely keep my eye out for that. Just another question for you all since you seem to be the the guys who repeatedly helps noobs like me I will throw another one at you, how much time do you get off between contracts, Ive seen 5 weeks on and 5 off and similar arrangements but I would also like to ask from a personal perspective is it enough time to still have a family and do other stuff?

Comment

Contracts vary massively from working away 10 months a year to being away only 4 months a year, depends on what sector and what job.
          You can still have a good family life, if your family understand and you have V-Sat on the boat.

Comment

From a personal point of view my leave ratio is terrible. 3 on 1.5 off. But i'm trying to get as much sea time as possible for my seconds and bump up my experience quickly

Comment

If I graduate, Australia is the place I'd like to move to but we'll see how things go

Comment

Australia for me aswell! Or maybe Spain if I'm too scared of moving that far away...!
                And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln.

Comment

I'd second Spain, love the country. I'd keep away from the Costa del Sol though, my idea of a nightmare and not the real Spain!

Comment

Haha, I wouldn't want to live there but I do like a bit of Marbella!
                    And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln.

Comment

The thing to remember, if you move to Spain or France you become liable under the local tax systems, therefore your lose the benefit of the Seafarer Foreign Earnings Deduction. You become taxable.

Australia, entering on points, even with the concession you have as a deck or engine officer, won't be enough to enter without a job offer/sponsor in australia, thus it becomes a little difficult to live their when your working a uk based shipping company in terms of visas etc.

These are little challenges, but can be accepted or overcome.

Comment

I wasn't suggesting I'd try to move straight after graduation, just that if I do, I'd like to at some point move to Oz. Until then, I'll happily travel around on my leave trying to see as much of the world as possible

Comment

Originally posted by AncientMariner
                          The thing to remember, if you move to Spain or France you become liable under the local tax systems, therefore your lose the benefit of the Seafarer Foreign Earnings Deduction. You become taxable.
                          It's a little more complicated than that. It depends on what we mean by "moving" to the other country. If you transfer all your affairs to that country, then it is perhaps a permanent move. But if you merely turn up there for a few months (whatever a tourist visa allows, or as long as you like in the case of EU countries) between seagoing appointments whilst keeping assets in the UK, you haven't necessarily moved there for that country's tax purposes.

If you were to move somewhere with a double-taxation agreement with the UK it might make sense to be paid and taxed in the UK, then to reclaim the tax as a non-resident seafarer whilst paying no income taxes in your state of residence.

Also, some other countries have special arrangements and tax benefits for seafarers or for those earning money overseas, as the UK used to do with "foreign earnings deductions" of the non-seafarer variety, and of course some countries simply do not have personal taxation.

A good accountant should be able to ensure that you don't pay too much in taxes. And I mean a good one, not one of the "seafarer specials" advertised in the Telegraph.

(All standard caveats apply!)

Comment

I agree Steve, there are definately loopholes. The way some countries determine residency varies wildly, a friend of mine has a second home on France and has just been forced to backpay quite a bit of tax in france.
                            I live in the Philippines who aren't interested in any way shape or form having foreigners become citizens or taxpayers, so I just enter as a tourist and declare my money through the uk tax system for the SED allowances.
                            So definately ways around it, but its just something you have to go into with your eyes open.

Comment

Originally posted by oliviaaaa
                              Haha, I wouldn't want to live there but I do like a bit of Marbella!
                              Can't say I've been, personally though I love Valencia and Cadiz! Beautiful places

Comment

Working...
                              X