Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What one piece of advice would you pass on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What one piece of advice would you pass on?

I must say the more I hang out here and read, the more excited I get.

Thanks for all the pearls

Comment

I think A can be applied to a great many of lifes situations
      "We're not pirates, We're preemptive nautical salvage experts"

Comment

Originally posted by size4riggerboots
        The confidence comes when you realise that it's actually not that hard to not crash!.
        I wouldn't say that S4. Mistakes happen very easily. Mis-interpretation of COLREGS, decisions made on scanty or un-reliable radar information and then we're into the relms of VHF assisted collisions and driving on ECDIS.

It's quite easy to have an accident if you don't rely on your training. Remember if the sh1t hits the fan and you call the master, when he gets to the bridge it's still your fault if you have a crash. The OOW goes up to the courts aswel

To boldly go.....
        Forum Administrator
        OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Originally posted by bryan_s
          D is a great way to scare the **** out of any officer... especially on a cruise ship with thousands of passengers on board. Just slooooowly lift the small plastic safety cover and he or she will turn terribly pale
          It's also a great way to find out what a fractured skull feels like, or what a Bus Bar in an MSB tastes like too!
          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by Randomist
            Originally posted by size4riggerboots
            The confidence comes when you realise that it's actually not that hard to not crash!.
            I wouldn't say that S4. Mistakes happen very easily. Mis-interpretation of COLREGS, decisions made on scanty or un-reliable radar information and then we're into the relms of VHF assisted collisions and driving on ECDIS.

It's quite easy to have an accident if you don't rely on your training. Remember if the sh1t hits the fan and you call the master, when he gets to the bridge it's still your fault if you have a crash. The OOW goes up to the courts aswel
            Oh I agree Randomist! what I meant by that comment was it's quite simple when you keep a good look out, spot it with your eyes or on the radar, plot it with ARPA (making sure you know whether your ARPA is displaying true or relative vectors) and take a few visual bearings, thereby establishing whether or not risk of collision exists, and then taking the appropriate action EARLY! Easy when you know how, and don't get complacent, I guess I should have said.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Don't forget to make sure the radar is sea or ground stabilized S4 =P

To boldly go.....
              Forum Administrator
              OfficerCadet.com

Comment

I just press 'autopilot' close my eyes and set my alarm clock for arrival, always works.....

Comment

Originally posted by AncientMariner
                  I just press 'autopilot' close my eyes and set my alarm clock for arrival, always works.....
                  Shhhh!! you're not supposed to tell people that! That's the holy trade-secret

Comment

Working...
                  X