Did you have previous experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you have previous experience?

Since discovering the MN I am 95% sure it is the career I have been looking for but I am worried that I have no previous experience with sailing except the odd day trip in Greece, will this go against me? Also if I am honest I am not the most self confident bloke in the world but I am hoping if I learn well this will give me confidence to rise through the ranks, can recruiters see potential or will I fall at the 1st hurdle?

Re: Did you have previous experience?

Working at sea is entirely different to pleasure craft, I wouldn't worry. While it is sometimes an advantage to have previous experience it's not essential.

My previous experience was working on inland waterways for a marina, I'd tow boats around and conduct servicing but it's entirely different to what I do now.

Don't worry, you'll be taught everything you need to know

To boldly go.....
    Forum Administrator
    OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Everyone has previous experience of some sort. You have to sell how it's relevant in your CV and interview.

Comment

What Lewis says is true. Even if you worked as a waiter in a restaurant, nothing to do with seafaring, but skills such as teamwork and being a team leader could be emphasized as they are important.

Comment

Cheers, good point, I have plenty of experiences I can make relevant just have to word it right.

Comment

Don't worry at all about previous experience. The only experience I had was crossing the Channel twice by ferry they will be more interested in other aspects such as what transferable skills, qualities you can bring to the table etc.

Comment

Like D-Triv, I had only ever been on a North Sea Ferry before I took up the career.

Comment

Working...
              X