CMT Sponsoring Company Selections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMT Sponsoring Company Selections

I have recently been asked to select 3 companies from the list below as potential sponsors for a deck cadetship. This may have been done to death already but what are thoughts with regard the list in particular potential future employment. Some are obviously tonnage tax companies but some might not be and unsure which ones are and which arn't, I don't think that northern marine are.
    If people were to select their top 3 which would they be and also which ones wouldn't anyone go near with a bargepole?

Also which companies are the ones most likely to lead to tanker and LNG endorsements?

Thanks
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

The only ones that are likely to hire are ferry and cruise companies, maybe a few offshore supply companies like Vroon but probably not.

But depending on your college, course and department whatever you pick may not be available. For example if it is an HNC deck cadetship starting in January at Fleetwood there might only be 3 positions and all of them are with Zodiac, so your choices don’t matter at all as your destiny is Zodiac.

There is a long peddled rumour, with anecdotal evidence, that those who pick cruise companies don’t get cruise companies and vice versa, so personally I’d avoid putting cruise companies and put ferries instead as if there is a 10% chance of getting a ferry cadetship you should put 100% of effort into getting it… in this climate it will be the best option by far.

Comment

I would put down northern marine as first choice because they tend to hire a few cadets every year and offer good chances of employment as well as the lng/ tanker endorsements.
      You can put cruise companies but normally they hire 1 person or less and then everyone else who chose cruise gets lumped with a tonnage tax company like zodiac.
      ​​​​​northern marine also have free internet on their ships from what I hear and I know one guy who got lng, and oil tanker endorsements as he was on a few different ship types .
      All the best

Comment

Northern Marine are a good bet. Lots of ships so you won't be struggling for a berth either.

If you get lucky you'll come out with Oil, Gas and maybe Chemical endorsements as well as some time on a ferry. They offer you a job too (after interviews etc) or if you fancy you can jump to TK for better money, or Stena Line for the ro-pax life.

If you want to go cruise, you had better get networking and get someone in the office to pull on CMT's string...

Comment

From my experience and the experience of all the CMT cadets in my phase they don't really care at all about what you pick, I asked for offshore supply, cruise and another offshore supply company. Got chemical tankers with a company that

All my mates had the same thing, asked for one thing or another and got chemical or oil. If you go with CMT expect to get the thing you don't want so you won't be let down if you get it and you'll be chuffed as nuts if you get something you want. I'd shop around a lot before settling on CMT.

From what I've heard from other cadets, avoid Union Maritime and Zodiac, they're not great companies but then again phase 5 cadets love horror stories about sea phases.

Comment

From recently finishing my cadetship, I’d strongly recommend NMM or any of the ferry companies. Offshore companies, whether it be standby or supply, do not hire British officers like they used to several years ago. It has all gone down the pan since oil took a nosedive, I joined my first ship in 2018, which was almost entirely British crew who had served the company for years into the double digits only to rejoin the same ship following year with everyone let go due to company restructuring. From what I collected from my intake, those who were on ROPAX got the best training and were the only ones given jobs post cadetship, those who were on tankers didn’t get jobs straightaway but were scooped up shortly after by likes of teekay.

Goodluck with whatever you decide to go with and despite strong opinions of Clyde you might see on here, I never had any trouble with them.

Comment

All the northern marine people from my class put it as their first choice so this is probably why I would advise to pick this one; it it the only choice that I've seen be a successful one.
              zodiac are a fine company and a fair few people actually got jobs with them but others didn't and there doesn't seem to be any clear reason as to why.
              I would agree that it is best to shop around before settling with Clyde as I know I wish I had the foresight to do that.

Comment

In my 'year' of Clyde Deck cadets which finished up relatively recently (during covid) the only ones to get offered work post cadetship with their sponsor where those with - Northern Marine, Zodiac, Subsea 7 and Songa. The likes of Vroon, Tidewater, Sentinel will hire if a position comes available when you qualify but no guarantee.
                The only ones I would say to avoid are Africa Express Line and Norbulk they sounded like a rather unpleasant seatime.

Comment

Originally posted by shackleguy View Post
                  All the northern marine people from my class put it as their first choice so this is probably why I would advise to pick this one; it it the only choice that I've seen be a successful one.
                  zodiac are a fine company and a fair few people actually got jobs with them but others didn't and there doesn't seem to be any clear reason as to why.
                  I would agree that it is best to shop around before settling with Clyde as I know I wish I had the foresight to do that.
                  Are you sure people got hired by Zodiac? That goes against everything every experienced person at sea has ever heard of! The only potential for a job I’ve ever heard of is in their London office if you’re an engineer, but even that seemed to be a fallacy they told their cadets.

It would be interesting to see their wages as I know Ukrainian third engineers with Zodiac are on £19k…

Comment

Yea I think the have started doing it recently. One of the guys signed on the ship and there was another British officer on board there. Out of about 8 zodiac cadets, 3 got deck oow jobs. They will spend some time working in office but mostly the job is at sea. From what I gather the office experience will be good if they want to go shore side in future.
                    they are starting on quite low wages to ensure that they don't take one stamp and leave but on their second trip it will increase to somewhere between 2-3k pounds a month

Comment

Working...
                    X