Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENG 1

Hello i have my ENG 1 coming up. and i am a little worried
    I am a bit overweight well quite overweight.
    i'm 6ft 7.5 around 202cm and weight between 18 and 19 stone . around 114 to 120 kg
    i do not have Astma or any other health conditions i wear glasses for reading the board at college and tv thats really all i wear them for. broke the usual stuff like collar bone leg and ankle arm fingers . i was wondering whats the likely hood of me failing.
    Maybe I will never be
    All the things that I want to be
    But now is not the time to cry
    Now's the time to find out why

Re: ENG 1

Your BMI is about the same as mine and I passed with advice to try to lose some. As long as you don't have any underlying issues caused by or causing the weight gain then I wouldn't worry.

Eye-wise, when was the last time you had your eyes tested? My eyesight isn't wonderful and I wear glasses all the time for distance and reading. I also have a slight squint in one eye which affects how my eyes work together, but because I can see normally and it doesn't impede my day-to-day life I was fine.

It's a really simple medical and I'm sure you'll fly through it.
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

i go to the gym most days but dont do a lot of cardio more weight lifting. i dont wear my glasses that much my prescription has stayed the same since i was around 12 . had them tested just before christmas.
      Maybe I will never be
      All the things that I want to be
      But now is not the time to cry
      Now's the time to find out why

Comment

In that case you should be fine. You'll have each eye tested first without glasses and also do a near-vision test. If you're within the limits for both, then great. If not, you'll do the tests again with the glasses and it will be marked on the certificate that you need glasses for distance, reading or both.

BMI is not a totally reliable measure since it doesn't take into account the difference between fat an muscle mass. If you're a regular weightlifter then you'll be heavier than usual - remember muscle weighs more than fat. The doctor will generally use common sense - as long as you're able to move normally and your weight wouldn't impede you in any way then you'll be fine. You wouldn't be the only seafarer with a beer belly!
        sigpic
        Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Obesity is all about physics... energy in v energy out.

to lose weight effectively, remove all the obvious high calorie foods.
          going vegetarian is not much good if you're wolfing down vegetarian pizzas with vegetarian beer, and vegetarian puddings!

cancel your licence fee and swap your telly for a mountain bike.
          cut down on bread (and related things: cake; biscuits; pastry), booze, red meat, spreads and toppings and sauces; fruit juice is high cal too!
          eat lots more low cal soup; porridge, find some low cal treats.
          drink lots of low cal cordial to keep feeling full.
          vermicelli noodles (made of mung beans) have zero fat.
          0 fat fancy yoghurt (yeo valley for example), binds around food and reduces the amount fat absorption.

pumping iron does burn calories, but you need a balance of exercises... a good routine to start on the running machine might be (setting the incline for road running at 5 degrees), 1 min of 5kmh, 1 min of 10kmh, 1 min of 15kmh, 1min of 10kmh, 1min of 15kmh, 1min of 10kmh, 1 min of 5kmh; then 10 mins of rowing machine keeping your strokes per minute to about 35, so that you do a full 2,000m.

do that for a month or two, then send her your poo!
          Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

I was worried about my eyesight just before my latest ENG1 (which thankfully I passed today) so I got that bit done separately. You can phone the MCA and ask them to send you a MSF 4100 - Seafarer Vision Test Certificate that you can take to your optician who can fill it all in for you. The advantage with doing it this way is 1) there's no risk of wasting ?80 for the medical, but more importantly 2) IF you fail, you can try again somewhere else (or beg!).

As far as the weight is concerned, I don't think it should be too much of a problem. BMI is a rubbish way of measuring fitness as pretty much the whole England rugby team would qualify as 'obese'. As long as you can pull yourself into an inflatable liferaft (unaided), which can be quite tricky for anyone, then you'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
            X