Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying more than once?

Hi people,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice, if you don't hear back from a company is it acceptable to apply again? anyone have any experience in this? bit weird i know but genuine question!

Hope youve all had a great xmas, TIA

No harm in applying twice so long as you’ve waited long enough, and are sure you didn’t make it first time round. Some companies do not reply for 6 odd months then suddenly invite you for an interview.

Have you tried applying for Clyde Marine, they’re desperate to take cadets for January?

Comment

Originally posted by alvin77 View Post
      Hi people,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice, if you don't hear back from a company is it acceptable to apply again? anyone have any experience in this? bit weird i know but genuine question!

Hope youve all had a great xmas, TIA
      There's no harm in applying multiple times just as for any job - although bear in mind that unlike normal jobs, positions only appear once (or in few companies cases twice) a year - so if it's been less than a year I would wait.

Also if you didn't even receive a response to your application, unless your situation has changed (such as new experience or new qualifications) you'll probably end up the same.

You may have more luck expanding the number of companies you are applying too.
      “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
      myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post
        No harm in applying twice so long as you’ve waited long enough, and are sure you didn’t make it first time round. Some companies do not reply for 6 odd months then suddenly invite you for an interview.
        Yeah I remember getting invited for an interview with Maersk...almost a year after I applied and by which time I had already started a cadetship with another company! Have you contacted the company in question to make sure you definitely haven't been successful first time around? If you weren't have you asked for feedback on why? So you can improve next time.

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post

Yeah I remember getting invited for an interview with Maersk...almost a year after I applied and by which time I had already started a cadetship with another company! Have you contacted the company in question to make sure you definitely haven't been successful first time around? If you weren't have you asked for feedback on why? So you can improve next time.
          wow a year? thats crazy. I haven't chased any up yet but its only been a couple of weeks, ill give it a few days after the christmas break is over and then follow them up. Do you happen to know if all the training schools are the same i.e. having a January intake and a September intake or are there cases where they recruit all year round?

Comment

Term times can be found on the college websites somewhere. One of the colleges used to have a Feb intake and Clyde say they’re currently hiring for Feb. Other than that the bigger intake seems to be September, and January is a bit smaller.

If you were unsuccessful with Clyde then it may be wise to invest in some CV enrichment to get you more on track, as Clyde probably have the lowest entry criteria of all the companies. Obviously I don’t know your situation at all but some people before have done things like retake their Maths GCSE, do a precadetship course, volunteered with sea cadets, worked at sea in a different capacity (stewards etc).

I know it’s probably not what you want to hear but plenty I know have been rejected by Clyde then taken on by Clyde of another company at a later date after brushing up their CV. Many have rejections to their name. I got rejected from companies I’d applied for ages ago, unbeknownst to them by that time I had started a cadetship with one of the best companies available!

Good luck, don’t lose hope, most make it!

Comment

Working...
            X