Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the chances of getting sponsored?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the chances of getting sponsored?

- - -

Pretty good I would say. Cadets range from school leavers to people who have already been to uni (there was a guy on my course with a PHD!) or older people looking for a career change. Probably about half (including myself) had already been to university. Don't worry too much about no nautical experience, I had none and neither did most of my classmates. On the training allowance front I don't know how "generous" they are these days but it's certainly not going to be a massive amount. Few hundred quid a month usually. Just about enough to live on if you are careful. The fact you already have a degree won't affect your funding the sponsoring company will pick up the tab for tuition fees etc. My best advice would be to pick your sponsoring company carefully. Try and get one that will employ you afterwards. So cruise companies, ferries, oil majors, RFA. Pick one of those over the training agencies if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by livstokes View Post
      I am a 21 year old female who's just graduated from the University of Exeter with a first class degree in BSc Renewable Energy and I'm looking to apply for a deck cadetship. I have plenty of teamwork and leadership experience from being county cricket captain and doing RAF and army cadets throughout my teens but haven't got any experience of nautical related activities.

I've heard getting sponsorship is competitive but the requirements to apply don't seem too steep, so I wanted to ask what qualifications/education most people tend to apply with? And more importantly what are the chances of me getting sponsored by a decent company (that gives a generous training allowance as it'll be my second degree)?
      As EH75 said, your chances are as good as anyone else. Unfortunately, the training allowance for most training agencies and companies is not great. We are talking 700-800 pounds per month. Just enough to get by, but most tend to live with others during their college phases so you can save some dosh. The only exception I can think of is the RFA paying a decent amount, maybe 14-15k a year. And definitely do your research on companies that tend to hire their cadets after, and aim for them!

There are many career changers in their mid 20's to 30's on cadetships nowadays, plus the usual younger lot. You'll want to focus on what makes you stand out compared to others in your application. Your leadership experience and activities will probably be looked upon favourably, as well as any indications that you can stick it out during tough times, because you will face them at sea and at college, so they want and need people who can.

Good luck!

Comment

Anybody can apply so long as they have 5 GCSEs and above, matching the minimum criteria. I was doing my cadetship between 2011 and 2014, the class was quite varied in backgrounds with ages ranging from 16 to 40+, education ranging from 16 year old school leaver to graduates, career experience ranging from nothing to IT civil servants and experienced sailors. Most of us had no seafaring experience, no army cadet experience and people like me literally had no accreditation to my name other than good GCSE grades so don't be worried about what you can offer from experience. Your chances will be high so long as you want the opportunity and can demonstrate good reasons why you're now looking at a deck cadetship rather than pursuing renewable energy, as they could see you as a flight risk if on your 2nd year someone offers you a good job in that field.

Regarding pay the only sponsor that pays noticeably more is the RFA at £15k odd, but recognise that this sponsor is very different to the rest in how your lifestyle will be; I don't know any RFA cadet or officer that stayed in their job for long. No sponsors "underpay" as the opportunity is offered in recognition of the fact that once you're qualified your earning potential can be massive, thus the cadetship pay is literally a salary to enable you to have a roof over your head, food to eat and maybe a couple of hundred left for pleasure. I reiterate the above though, try your best to get sponsorship from a company with good recruitment track records; junior deck officers currently face hell trying to get a job without experience. As above the companies known to hire are: Carnival Cruises, Maersk (unsure if they still offer cadetships), BP and Shell, RFA, Princess Cruises, Pritchard Gordon tankers, P&O Ferries (through SSTG), Cal Mac (through Clyde Marine) and Stena Ferries.

I can't offer much more but if you want any advice about securing sponsorship through a ferry company (some are that way inclined) then feel free to PM me.

Comment

Welcome

I would say you have a very good prospect of finding sponsorship.

Find out what the companies want to hear in the interview - your degree, plus cadets and sport will back you up well. Taking candidates who have a few more years 'life experience' compared to school leavers is a good bet for companies and many of my intake were graduates.

As mentioned above, do your research and I'd say it's worth waiting for the 'right' opportunity with somewhere which will hopefully offer you a job after qualifying.

Some people in my class used the cadetship as a 'stepping-stone' to other things, as a way to gain maritime experience, and if this is your plan then sponsors like Trinity House offer the potential to sail on different types of ships across your cadetship - with the caveat of limited employment prospects afterwards.

I qualified last summer, now sailing as 3/O on containers, and am happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X