Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carnival UK Assessment Centre

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Carnival UK Assessment Centre

    Hi Folks,

    I have just recently been invited down to Southampton to attend Carnival UK's assessment centre in application for an ETO cadetship.

    I'm just interested to see if anyone on here has any previous dealings with Carnival UK with regards to their cadetship opportunities and assessment centre and has any tips on what to expect for when i'm down there.

    I've been told that I should expect a 10 minute presentation, a 30 minute interview and a 20 minute group activity however, it does say that I will be there from 9am - 5pm.

    That is about all the information I have at this moment in time so any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated

    Cheers!


  • #2
    Hi,

    Cadet with Carnival here. Their new recruitment process is different from what I went through. Group activity when I went was looking through magazines of the different companies from Carnival Corporation and finding information. What they want to see is leadership and the ability to work in a team. You will be waiting a lot while the other candidates have their interviews.

    Anything else I am here to help.

    Comment


    • #3
      Are you not doing the aptiude tests? Sorry for mispelling. I recall this was being done last year, Im reapplying again for January 20 intake.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by PuttPutt View Post
        Hi,

        Cadet with Carnival here. Their new recruitment process is different from what I went through. Group activity when I went was looking through magazines of the different companies from Carnival Corporation and finding information. What they want to see is leadership and the ability to work in a team. You will be waiting a lot while the other candidates have their interviews.

        Anything else I am here to help.
        Hi there,

        Thanks for your response and offer of advice it is greatly appreciated.

        While I have you here 0.0...

        What kind of cadet are you?

        How has the experience been for you so far?

        Is there anything you would have done differently if you could go back in time?

        What has been the highlight of your experience as a Carnival UK cadet so far?

        I actually have another offer from an LNG major and in terms of lifestyle and salary expectations they are the total opposite of each other. Carnival having the great lifestyle but lower salary expectations and the LNG major having higher salary expectations but a less exciting lifestyle (at least that is how most people see it). So making the right decision would be critical providing I was successful with my application for Carnival.

        I look forward to your response

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DeafSailor View Post
          Are you not doing the aptiude tests? Sorry for mispelling. I recall this was being done last year, Im reapplying again for January 20 intake.
          Hi there,

          I have not been informed of any aptitude testing.

          The email I received only states a 30 minute interview, a 10 minute presentation and a group activity.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Beware the bear View Post

            Hi there,

            Thanks for your response and offer of advice it is greatly appreciated.

            While I have you here 0.0...

            What kind of cadet are you?

            How has the experience been for you so far?

            Is there anything you would have done differently if you could go back in time?

            What has been the highlight of your experience as a Carnival UK cadet so far?

            I actually have another offer from an LNG major and in terms of lifestyle and salary expectations they are the total opposite of each other. Carnival having the great lifestyle but lower salary expectations and the LNG major having higher salary expectations but a less exciting lifestyle (at least that is how most people see it). So making the right decision would be critical providing I was successful with my application for Carnival.

            I look forward to your response
            I am an ETO cadet with Carnival.

            Experience of the course has been good. Being at sea is the best part of the course but the college portion is obviously necessary for key knowledge.

            I will be honest, I wouldn't do the job if I weren't with a cruise company. The lifestyle is just so much better than what I have heard of container/bulk. I mean every night I was eating the same food as the passengers, sometimes having two steaks a night. Then we could go to one of the shows or just chill in the ward room. I had plenty of time off the ship as well. One day we hired a car and drove around an island , another I went on a tour of a coffee plantation, another we went to see the leaning tower of Pisa.

            I have said to others, as long as you get the work done and you have a good manager they will ensure you get time off the ship.

            Comment


            • #7
              A little late, but I was recently successful in securing an engine cadetship at Carnival's assessment day.

              There were 7 other candidates in my group, all applying for engine. The calibre of candidate is generally pretty good, so bring your A game! Age ranged from 18 to 36. I'm 31 for reference. You'll spend a lot of time between exercises waiting around in the holding area together, so be sociable and help each other out.

              After a quick icebreaker introducing each other, the first real exercise was a group task where your interaction with the other candidates was assessed. They're looking for leadership qualities and confidence, so make yourself heard and get stuck in as best you can without being pushy or talking over the others. I suggest you check who is wearing a watch and invite them to act as a timekeeper, since the Carnival staff will just smile and keep quiet if you ask them for information once the exercise has started. Make sure you have a clear plan by the end of the task, you will be expected to justify your choices, even though there are no wrong answers.

              Next up were the presentations. Take it in on a memory stick, but email a copy to yourself or have some other form of back up. They don't provide a clicker, so if you want to be flashy, you'll need to bring your own. You will be presenting one of the Carnival ships to the other candidates as well the Carnival staff, some of whom will be senior seafarers that will have worked on board, so don't blag it! They're not expecting much in the way of technical knowledge, but you should put the effort in to make it clear that you've done your homework. Again, be confident and engage the audience. Don't stand behind the laptop and read from your presentation verbatim. Make it interesting for everyone's sake! Also, some of the sister ships look very similar. One guy in our group learned this the hard way, nuff said.

              Lunch is available on site for a very reasonable price or you can source your own. Bear in mind that the staff canteen is cash only.

              The afternoon consisted of individual interviews and psychometric tests.

              The tests are run on a computer and are pretty gnarly! You will sit the Schufried DF test, and the DAUF sustained attention test. Google is your friend here. The first is a test of your reactions under pressure involving sounds, coloured buttons and pedals. It lasts 15 minutes, stay calm and try your best to keep up. I felt like I'd completely failed to keep up but still passed. The second test is 30 minutes of staring at different arrangements of triangles. No, really. This test is designed to drag, so pay attention and don't drift off! Both tests are measured against a straight up pass/fail standard.

              Last was the individual interview with a ships officer and a HR person. They will have your CV in front of them and will ask you the usual interview type questions. Why cruise ships, why not deck, what does an officer do, can you manage a team of unruly Filipino sailors. "What are 4 values that make a good cadet?" caught a few of our group off guard. The interview is scored.

              You'll be free to leave once you're done. The follow up call for me was a few days afterwards, but this will vary. Feedback was pretty thorough.

              Best of luck to anyone attending in future!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RustySpanner View Post
                A little late, but I was recently successful in securing an engine cadetship at Carnival's assessment day.

                There were 7 other candidates in my group, all applying for engine. The calibre of candidate is generally pretty good, so bring your A game! Age ranged from 18 to 36. I'm 31 for reference. You'll spend a lot of time between exercises waiting around in the holding area together, so be sociable and help each other out.

                After a quick icebreaker introducing each other, the first real exercise was a group task where your interaction with the other candidates was assessed. They're looking for leadership qualities and confidence, so make yourself heard and get stuck in as best you can without being pushy or talking over the others. I suggest you check who is wearing a watch and invite them to act as a timekeeper, since the Carnival staff will just smile and keep quiet if you ask them for information once the exercise has started. Make sure you have a clear plan by the end of the task, you will be expected to justify your choices, even though there are no wrong answers.

                Next up were the presentations. Take it in on a memory stick, but email a copy to yourself or have some other form of back up. They don't provide a clicker, so if you want to be flashy, you'll need to bring your own. You will be presenting one of the Carnival ships to the other candidates as well the Carnival staff, some of whom will be senior seafarers that will have worked on board, so don't blag it! They're not expecting much in the way of technical knowledge, but you should put the effort in to make it clear that you've done your homework. Again, be confident and engage the audience. Don't stand behind the laptop and read from your presentation verbatim. Make it interesting for everyone's sake! Also, some of the sister ships look very similar. One guy in our group learned this the hard way, nuff said.

                Lunch is available on site for a very reasonable price or you can source your own. Bear in mind that the staff canteen is cash only.

                The afternoon consisted of individual interviews and psychometric tests.

                The tests are run on a computer and are pretty gnarly! You will sit the Schufried DF test, and the DAUF sustained attention test. Google is your friend here. The first is a test of your reactions under pressure involving sounds, coloured buttons and pedals. It lasts 15 minutes, stay calm and try your best to keep up. I felt like I'd completely failed to keep up but still passed. The second test is 30 minutes of staring at different arrangements of triangles. No, really. This test is designed to drag, so pay attention and don't drift off! Both tests are measured against a straight up pass/fail standard.

                Last was the individual interview with a ships officer and a HR person. They will have your CV in front of them and will ask you the usual interview type questions. Why cruise ships, why not deck, what does an officer do, can you manage a team of unruly Filipino sailors. "What are 4 values that make a good cadet?" caught a few of our group off guard. The interview is scored.

                You'll be free to leave once you're done. The follow up call for me was a few days afterwards, but this will vary. Feedback was pretty thorough.

                Best of luck to anyone attending in future!

                Thanks, I don't think I want to apply for Carnival anymore haha

                Comment


                • #9
                  Carnival’s assessment centre almost seems like a hazing more than anything else going by that post! Pretty much wholly unnecessary for the job, especially at the level they’re hiring for. You’ll be glad to know Royal Caribbean’s policy is hiring anyone with GCSEs and the capability of speaking English.

                  Also, if any of you are facing LNG majors vs cruise ships... don’t pick cruise ships. Officers with LNG majors can always spend their vacations on cruise ships without breaking the bank!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The assessment centre information was quite illuminating. Glad they didn't have anything like that when I started!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X