Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phase 2 Deck Cadet skills

Hi all

Would like to know what tasks and responsibilities I would have on my first trip, specifically on the deck rather than the bridge, cheers.

Re: Phase 2 Deck Cadet skills

Im an engine cadet but the deck cadets i sailed with on their first trip were out on deck 8 - 5 with AB's doing AB's jobs like painting, cleaning and chipping. They also went out on deck for arrival and departure and spent a bit of time on the bridge. Not sure which company your with but the ones with my company enjoyed it.

Comment

exofaco_844

Have you read any of the blogs linked on the site? They give great account of the tasks of a Cadet during Sea Phases. Have a look at them

Comment

yorkylad as a engine cadet what tasks did you get then?
        Be what you want to be not what other people tell you to be
        Adapt and over come
        Careers At Sea Ambassador

Comment

Cheers for your replies, I am considering applying for next year, just curious as to what would be expected of me.

Comment

Originally posted by stronglead
            yorkylad as a engine cadet what tasks did you get then?
            Tracing Pipework (oh the joys!), learning how the machinery works and operates, basic maintenance, cleaning, chipping, painting, etc.....
            I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I'd say it depends on your Captain/Chief Mate. I spent the first week with the deck crew, did some chipping, some painting, reefer monitoring. Then I was onto the 3rd mates watch for the rest of it then. Any deck work I did from then on was only with him, so it would be LSA maintenance, Life Boat checks, Fire fighting maintenance. No boring chipping+scraping. As for coming into port, as it was my first trip, I wasn't allowed on the mooring teams as the captain deemed it too dangerous, so I was with the bridge team for pilotage. However on my second ship, I spent most of it on the forward mooring station with the Mate. Good times.

Perhaps I should add, when on watch, I would fix the position on chart, assist the 3rd with updating publications. Fill the weather log book, keeping a lookout at all times, after a while and trust earned, I did course alterations as well. They don't really trust you on your first trip, so relax, you wont have any 'responsiblities', just watch and learn as much as you can, so on your second ship, you look amazing.
              Linkedin

Comment

On my last ship I did both watches with the CO then four hours on deck with the crew. More if we were cleaning holds.

Comment

Working...
                X