Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best intake to apply for

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best intake to apply for

    Hi guys and girls,

    I'm wondering which is the best intake to apply for deck fd route. Is January better than September or is Sept better than January. I'm looking at carnival UK or princess so any advice is very welcome. Also when do applications open for the Jan and Sept intakes.
    Thanks
    DG

  • #2
    They’re literally the same, nothing changes other than dates. Most companies change which colleges/intakes they use yearly as it depends on numbers. Some companies have been and gone for next January already, some haven’t even started hiring for September. Again, totally depends on company.

    Comment


    • #3
      I know Princess have already started applications and the process for September as I had my assessment day on Friday, however the man interviewing me did mention that they would be looking at more applications and moving forward for more September candidates. Again P&O and Princess are very similar, I think it is just personal choice of which company you would rather be a part of. Good luck though, and if you choose Princess I may see you in September!

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you. May I ask what happens at assessment days? Also do the shipping companys take less at Jan than September? Many thanks

        Comment


        • #5
          Again, every year is different. I’ve seen huge January intakes and small Septembers, and the other way round.

          If you search at the top of the page you’ll find plenty about assessment days.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thank you. I'll definitely have a look

            Comment


            • #7
              My assessment day had a maths test, both calculator and non calculator, stress tolerance, time / movement anticipation and long term focused attention span tests and a one on one interview. I was there for around 5 hours, however was shorter for some and longer for others.

              Comment


              • #8
                What's standard maths test was it? Also what is a movement anticipation test?

                Comment


                • #9
                  As already mentioned both intakes are the same and numbers seem to vary quite a bit. My son’s January intake is quite large but he has heard of much smaller intakes.

                  If you are still at school the advantage of applying for the January intake is that you can complete your A levels without the stress of looking for a cadetship and then apply with actual grades rather than predicted grades.

                  Applying for a cadetship is more stressful than doing a UCAS form and you are unlikely to get much help from school. Each company asks different questions so it takes quite a while to apply to each one and then there may be psychometric tests, Skype interviews and then finally the actual interviews. Some companies will ask you to prepare a presentation for the interview so it all takes time. There is a lot of help on this forum about the application process and in the articles section there is a guide to writing a CV.

                  Another advantage is you can find some part time work before starting the cadetship.

                  I think you will find that Carnival UK have closed applications for September so for them you may need to wait till January. Princess seems to accept applications all year round but you need to indicate your preferred intake.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Another Parent View Post
                    As already mentioned both intakes are the same and numbers seem to vary quite a bit. My son’s January intake is quite large but he has heard of much smaller intakes.

                    If you are still at school the advantage of applying for the January intake is that you can complete your A levels without the stress of looking for a cadetship and then apply with actual grades rather than predicted grades.

                    Applying for a cadetship is more stressful than doing a UCAS form and you are unlikely to get much help from school. Each company asks different questions so it takes quite a while to apply to each one and then there may be psychometric tests, Skype interviews and then finally the actual interviews. Some companies will ask you to prepare a presentation for the interview so it all takes time. There is a lot of help on this forum about the application process and in the articles section there is a guide to writing a CV.

                    Another advantage is you can find some part time work before starting the cadetship.

                    I think you will find that Carnival UK have closed applications for September so for them you may need to wait till January. Princess seems to accept applications all year round but you need to indicate your preferred intake.
                    thank you vey much. I was thinking of January for that pure reason also you can get a gap of school study work, etc. For a January intake I presume all the interviews, etc will occur after September?

                    Many thanks

                    DG

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DeltaGolf View Post

                      . For a January intake I presume all the interviews, etc will occur after September?

                      Many thanks

                      DG
                      In my sons case the application process was complete by the end of September. He started the application process shortly after he received his A level results and the response from some companies was very quick. Almost immediately he had a telephone interview and was asked to do an online psychometric test. He had one interview at the end of September at which he was successful.

                      Last year Carnival opened for applications sometime in July but my son decided to wait until he knew his A level results. As already mentioned Princess seems to accept applications all year round but you need to indicate your preferred intake. I have no idea when Princess and Carnival carry out interviews but for both you need to do an online psychometric test.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Another Parent View Post

                        In my sons case the application process was complete by the end of September. He started the application process shortly after he received his A level results and the response from some companies was very quick. Almost immediately he had a telephone interview and was asked to do an online psychometric test. He had one interview at the end of September at which he was successful.

                        Last year Carnival opened for applications sometime in July but my son decided to wait until he knew his A level results. As already mentioned Princess seems to accept applications all year round but you need to indicate your preferred intake. I have no idea when Princess and Carnival carry out interviews but for both you need to do an online psychometric test.
                        That's interesting and worth noting. I know my parents want to go to Australia for 4-5 weeks after a-levels. Would it be advisable to go before applying so you are not away when interview/assessment days come up?

                        DG

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Only you can decide when to apply to companies, however the following may help.
                          • Carnival only accept applications for a short period of time, last year I think it was from early July to sometime in September for the January intake.
                          • I don’t think Carnival held any assessments days until after the deadline for applications, other people may be able to give more information.
                          • Carnival usually give details of the recruitment dates on their cadet Facebook page - Carnival UK Cadet Programme
                          • A lot of the application process is done online so could be done while on holiday.
                          • If you haven’t already attended an open day it might be useful to talk to Companies who will be able to give more detail on the recruitment process, Warsash have an open day on the 8th June and there are usually lots of Companies present.


                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X