Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it hard to move from cruise to tankers when qualified

Hi all

I have recently been offered to go to an assement day for carnival which I am over the moon about. I’m really excited to see if the cruise life is for me, but I was thinking, is it hard to transition from cruise to tankers, because if I don’t like cruising and tankers earn far much more money. I would rather wait till I’m qualified, work the two years for carnival if hired. Then move to tankers. If anyone could get back to me I would appreciate it. Thanks Jordan.

You will struggle to move from a cruise ship (or any non-tanker) to tankers - mainly because you will not have completed the necessary short courses and most tanker companies want officers with some experience of working on tankers - and there is certainly no shortage of said officers.

It's not impossible, but you will struggle.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

If you really want to work on tankers then you'd be much better going in at cadet level. Means you will get the dangerous cargo endorsements as a cadet. Without these you will find it difficult to move into the industry. Not impossible, but difficult.

Money wise Carnival pay is probably best in the cruise industry. Maybe not quite as much as some tankers but not bad.

Comment

So if I was on tankers for my cadetship per say I could move to cruise with relative ease? What personally would you think the best option is for me, as I would love to do my cadetship on cruise ships And even work on them in the future but the money on tankers is what’s swaying me. I don’t want to be the lowest payed and I feel like cruise is the most restrictive for the future, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordanwhitt View Post
          So if I was on tankers for my cadetship per say I could move to cruise with relative ease? What personally would you think the best option is for me, as I would love to do my cadetship on cruise ships And even work on them in the future but the money on tankers is what’s swaying me. I don’t want to be the lowest payed and I feel like cruise is the most restrictive for the future, your help would be greatly appreciated.
          Nobody knows what the situation will be like in 3 - 4 years time when you complete your cadetship - ultimately if you have the choice of both pick whatever one you think you will prefer... All I will say is, if you go into this for the money or for the shinny white uniform you're going to hate it and not last - make sure you know exactly what you're getting yourself in to!
          “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
          myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Yes I know mate, I’m just eager to get to sea and see what it’s like and too see if it is for me! I want a expansive careee you see and not no 9-5 office job, what made you fall in love with the industry if you mind me asking?

Comment

In terms of moving from tankers to cruise ships from tankers easy is more fairytale than reality. I sailed on tankers as a cadet (crude oil and LNG) along with 6 months post cadetship sailing on LNG carriers as a 4th engineer. I’ve applied to all the big cruise companies that employ British officers and haven’t even made it by the initial application stage. 1 company under the carnival corporation specifically asked the recruiter who works for an agency to not consider anyone with just tanker experience and were looking at people who’ve sailed on either cruise or general cargo. If anything it should be guys who’ve sailed on for instance LNG tankers to be considered for these roles as we operate dual fuel engines which all of these big named companies are building ships with dual fuel engines now and there current officers have no experience with. Even if you haven’t sailed on oil or gas a cadet you can undergo the basic oil, gas and chemical familiarisation course and that will allow you to sail as a junior ranked officer onboard oil and gas carriers. I know several individuals who have moved from cruise ships to tankers as many companies are willing to cross train people from the like of general cargo and cruise onto tankers. From my own experience cruise ships are perhaps a more secure environment to work on as it’s a continuously growing market where as oil and gas continously fluctuates and only recently a huge oil and gas company sold a large quantity of ships and laid off a lot of guys
              Phase 5 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Comment

Wow that really helped me mate, thank you! I’ll take this all into consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post
                  Money wise Carnival pay is probably best in the cruise industry. Maybe not quite as much as some tankers but not bad.
                  I earned £10k more with RCL than Carnival could offer, Princess also offered £2k more than Carnival. The only benefit (maybe) of CUK is having a UK employer, pay is certainly relatively low.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post

I earned £10k more with RCL than Carnival could offer, Princess also offered £2k more than Carnival. The only benefit (maybe) of CUK is having a UK employer, pay is certainly relatively low.
                    When was this? There were big changes to the pay structure a few years ago. Top band 3/O is £34k and top band 2/O is £48k. If RCI are paying £10k more than that I may have to reconsider my position! You start off on a few grand less than that but the pay increases are fairly straightforward to achieve.

Are RCI and Princess still doing 4 on 2 off? CUK have moved away from this and its now more like 3 on 2 offish.

In terms of comparisons to tankers I know someone who got offered a job as chief mate with a large tanker company and the money was less than he was earning as 1/O here. Rotations were about the same.

Comment

UK Employer isn't really that much of an advantage btw. Means you need to pay national insurance.

Comment

You don’t need to pay anything more than voluntary class 3 NI with a UK employer if you can sign your contract out of the UK, at sea for example. With P&O Ferries Northern Ireland (had to pay full tax) I only paid like £18 NI, might be worth looking into!

This is my experience from late 2018. Deck is a lot better off than engine, because all deck officers are on 10 on 10 off with RCL now whereas engineers are stuck with 4:2. A tad unfair! Princess are exactly the same on that front, obviously copying each other to retain good deck officers as engineers are in high supply.

My 3/E salary with RCL was equivalent to £39k once you factored in zero tax, USD exchange rate and the fact you’re only paid onboard. Carnival offered me a 3/E position in mid-2018 at a starting salary of £28k with no real advice on how that increases if at all.

I would suggest your workers rights are much higher with CUK though, you don’t even get a pension with RCL until you hit 10 years of service and then it’s only a US pension. The public areas are pretty much forbidden as well, unless you want to pay.

Comment

Working...
                        X