Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENG1 Advice

Hello there, newbie here.

I've recently been offered a place at Fleetwood (Deck cadet) through CMT and start in August/September. The offer is subject to an ENG1 certificate, of course. I have seen many posts related to the ENG1 including a pinned one so I hate to add another to the forum but I'm seeking a little bit of insight, particularly from anyone in my situation or similar.

I only have 5% hearing in my right ear, this is something I was born with and it has never majorly effected me through life. I am unaided and my only option for aid is a cochlear implant, to which I denied about 4 years ago. My left ear has perfect hearing and there are no issues there. It's a lot of money for the medical and it can only be reimbursed if the medical is passed. Has anyone been in my situation, if so what was the outcome? Am I likely to pass or is it extremely unlikely? I hope you can help. Thanks!

This might help you, page 230
    https://assets.publishing.service.go..._AD_Manual.pdf

Comment

I am sorry to say that I'm fairly certain you would fail an ENG1 medical with a hearing impairment as large as 95% loss and without aid to increase it. You are being examined as per your position (deck, engine or ETO), and the doctors are educated on what level of sight and hearing is required by watchkeepers. Watchkeepers by the very nature require good eyesight and good hearing, with or without aids. You do one hearing test for your first ENG1, and you do the beep test with headphones; pressing a button when you hear quiet beeps played in each ear. If you do okay in that your next hearing test will be 10 years later.

It may be worth ringing an ENG1 doctor for advice, they will tell you straight if you tell them straight. Here are the numbers for the doctors: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ctors-uk-based

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post
        I am sorry to say that I'm fairly certain you would fail an ENG1 medical with a hearing impairment as large as 95% loss and without aid to increase it. You are being examined as per your position (deck, engine or ETO), and the doctors are educated on what level of sight and hearing is required by watchkeepers. Watchkeepers by the very nature require good eyesight and good hearing, with or without aids. You do one hearing test for your first ENG1, and you do the beep test with headphones; pressing a button when you hear quiet beeps played in each ear. If you do okay in that your next hearing test will be 10 years later.

It may be worth ringing an ENG1 doctor for advice, they will tell you straight if you tell them straight. Here are the numbers for the doctors: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ctors-uk-based

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
        I have spoke to two doctors, both have said I should be okay however they cant be certain, the doctor I have my medical booked with I have not been able to ask as it went through their secretary.

Thank you! I hope it works out too

Comment

Working...
        X