Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which sponsor to choose?

Hi
    I'm looking to join the Deck Cadetship program in January 2020. I have already had a number of offers back, and was wanting any advice on which companies were the best to go with from your experience. Please vote below if you would recommend a certain one, feel free to add or to message me with any advice.
    Much appreciated

Conor
    Clyde Marine Training
    7.41%
    SSTG
    14.81%
    AW Crewing
    7.41%
    Chiltern Maritime
    0%
    V-Ships
    29.63%
    BP
    18.52%
    Shell
    22.22%

Probably BP. You will get all of your oil and gas endorsements (I presume) and they actually employ British officers so decent chance of a job at the end. I've never worked for them but know a few people who have and I think the training was fairly decent.

Comment

Depends on what path you want to take post-cadetship. If you're wanting to work offshore then maybe go for V-Ships, but IMO one of the tanker companies is the smart choice, better pay as a cadet, higher chance of getting a job after you qualify, plus you will get all your tanker endorsements, which are difficult to get once you qualify if you have no tanker experience.

Comment

I would personally choose shell over BP. BP laid up I believe a huge number of officers as they have reduced their size of fleet. Shell would also allow for you to gain an oil and gas endorsement and are likely to get employed afterwards. Als they are involved in pretty amazing projects.
        Phase 5 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Comment

Not sure I'd put your choice of sponsor to a public vote, but hey ho...

Shell, then BP, then AW Crewing, then whoever will offer you a job at the end of the contract that isn't one of the previously mentioned three companies, then everyone else, then CMT.
          Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

And then after all of them, whichever company MrStealth is working for! ;P

Comment

Originally posted by Inland Pirate View Post
              And then after all of them, whichever company MrStealth is working for! ;P
              The dole doesn't take cadets ;-)

(Any shipping company reading this looking for an OOW, I'm available :-) )
              Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

Broken record from me again....

Obviously choose what side of the industry you want to work in for starters. Cruise/Offshore/Oil and Gas

But if you get offered a job by a company rather than a place in a training programme then always go for that! The management companies, as nice as some of them are, will not give you the best chance to get a job at the end of your cadetship.

Tanker is indeed the smart choice unless you fundamentally cant stand cargo ships. It is far easier to go from tankers to somewhere else than break in without the special tickets.
                Superyacht OOW
                SSTG Cadet 2015-2017
                Ex Royal Navy Navigator.

Comment

I firmly believe that it’s a personal choice, however, I’m with V.Ships and I chose them from four companies that gave me an offer. Not only can they offer a range of ships, they also have an amazing cadet team who will treat you as an individual and not just a number or a name in a spreadsheet. Lee and Florentina frequently go above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that cadets have the best experience they can.
                  One day I will stop giggling at the word “seaman”, today is not that day

Comment

I agree with NotSoSaltySeadog. I've been with V.Ships for a little longer than normal but Lee and Florentina have been nothing but supportive. I honestly think if I had chosen any other company I wouldn't be sat here today typing this. On top of that, you get a wide experience on ships with V.Ships as they have pretty much any vessel under the sun for us to go on. I can honestly say that I am happy I went with V.Ships

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo_Ryan View Post
                      I agree with NotSoSaltySeadog. I've been with V.Ships for a little longer than normal but Lee and Florentina have been nothing but supportive. I honestly think if I had chosen any other company I wouldn't be sat here today typing this. On top of that, you get a wide experience on ships with V.Ships as they have pretty much any vessel under the sun for us to go on. I can honestly say that I am happy I went with V.Ships
                      Again, in agreement with the others V.Ships is by far the best company to work for. I am not aware of any other training managers more accessible than Lee and Florentina. If I had a problem, I know that I can phone at any time day or night and I will instantly get help. We are also the best equipped (uniform/clothing & PPE wise) not just within the V Ships fleet but out of all companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cadets Brag and Brag and Brag about how much they get paid and yea V-ships dose not pay the best. But makes up for it on support and care.
                        No mater the time some on is there Day and night . Also the range of ships you can choose from 2nd to none. Work for Bp and find out you hate tankers okay good luck phase 4!! Or join princess and find out you hate a lot of crew. Or go with a company that will allow your try as many or as little ships as they can. ( you can't always get what you want)
                        But they try !!!
                        Some may call me Biast but it's what I fell .

Sorry after my Rant nearly forgot big thanks to the V-ship duo that keep us going !!!

Comment

Did the v-ships cadet managers just sit you lot all down in a room and not let you leave until you posted something positive about them? I have no opinion on v ships either way but a bit strange to get a glut of postings in praise of them from various different people but with a similar posting style at the same time no?

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post
                            Did the v-ships cadet managers just sit you lot all down in a room and not let you leave until you posted something positive about them? I have no opinion on v ships either way but a bit strange to get a glut of postings in praise of them from various different people but with a similar posting style at the same time no?
                            I was thinking the same thing myself. Perhaps they get paid a bonus for writing good reviews?

Comment

Good morning, am the cadet manager for V.Ship. I just want to clarify the 2 remarks above. I am and will continue to activity support this forum and promote it to my cadets or candidates as it offers honest and good advice by people trying, going and been through the system. With regards to above post I wanted to thank the people who made the positive comments and Florentina and myself are appreciated that you feel that why. No one was paid or sat down in a room. Lee

Comment

Working...
                              X