Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which sponsor to choose?

Hi
    I'm looking to join the Deck Cadetship program in January 2020. I have already had a number of offers back, and was wanting any advice on which companies were the best to go with from your experience. Please vote below if you would recommend a certain one, feel free to add or to message me with any advice.
    Much appreciated

Conor
    Clyde Marine Training
    0%
    SSTG
    22.22%
    AW Crewing
    11.11%
    Chiltern Maritime
    0%
    V-Ships
    0%
    BP
    44.44%
    Shell
    22.22%

Probably BP. You will get all of your oil and gas endorsements (I presume) and they actually employ British officers so decent chance of a job at the end. I've never worked for them but know a few people who have and I think the training was fairly decent.

Comment

Depends on what path you want to take post-cadetship. If you're wanting to work offshore then maybe go for V-Ships, but IMO one of the tanker companies is the smart choice, better pay as a cadet, higher chance of getting a job after you qualify, plus you will get all your tanker endorsements, which are difficult to get once you qualify if you have no tanker experience.

Comment

I would personally choose shell over BP. BP laid up I believe a huge number of officers as they have reduced their size of fleet. Shell would also allow for you to gain an oil and gas endorsement and are likely to get employed afterwards. Als they are involved in pretty amazing projects.
        Phase 5 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Comment

Not sure I'd put your choice of sponsor to a public vote, but hey ho...

Shell, then BP, then AW Crewing, then whoever will offer you a job at the end of the contract that isn't one of the previously mentioned three companies, then everyone else, then CMT.
          Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

And then after all of them, whichever company MrStealth is working for! ;P

Comment

Originally posted by Inland Pirate View Post
              And then after all of them, whichever company MrStealth is working for! ;P
              The dole doesn't take cadets ;-)

(Any shipping company reading this looking for an OOW, I'm available :-) )
              Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

Working...
              X