Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Do I Find Out Which College I'll Be Attending?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Do I Find Out Which College I'll Be Attending?

Hello everyone,

So this is all based on hopefully being accepted. But I'm applying for several different companies to hopefully start in September 2019 or January 2020. I don't really have strong preferences for which college I would be attending but I'd like to know at which stage of the process I would find that information out? Is it at the interview stage? The offer stage? After I accept? Even shorter notice than that? I guess I'd just like to know as early in the process as possible.

Thanks for any help.

Hi, You normally find out once you’ve been made offers from the sponsoring companies. You don’t get a choice of college as the company chooses for you depending on where they normally send their cadets. I had a few offers where they said it would either be Fleetwood or Glasgow and I said my preference would be Fleetwood but I don’t know if they actually took this into consideration or whether they just placed me a fleetwood. Once you accept an offer from a sponsoring company, you receive a letter which says “you’ll be attending X college”. This won’t happen until late in the application stage (Ie. A few months or weeks before you start).

Hope this helps.

Feel free to drop me a mesaage if you want any more information or have any questions on the application process as I have just gone through it. I’m about to start at Fleetwood in a few weeks.

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alexchad View Post
      Hi, You normally find out once you’ve been made offers from the sponsoring companies. You don’t get a choice of college as the company chooses for you depending on where they normally send their cadets.
      Not always. I was asked what college I wanted to go to in my interview, they told me there and then that would be fine and that's where they sent me. That was with SSTG (and almost a decade ago). Of course all companies are different so the short answer is, it depends really on what company you go with.

Comment

Clyde Marine’s offer letter to you will state your invite to study with them at x or y college. So I knew mine would be Shields before I accepted the offer.

Some companies are rumoured to place cadets far away from home, especially if they’re younger as it gets people used to being away. I’m close to Warsash, and ended up 300 miles north instead.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post
          Some companies are rumoured to place cadets far away from home, especially if they’re younger as it gets people used to being away. I’m close to Warsash, and ended up 300 miles north instead.
          Yeah this does seem to happen sometimes. Load of nonsense if you ask me. Being put in a college at the other end of the country is nothing remotely like being stuck on a container ship in the middle of the Indian Ocean with no communication with home and no one who speaks English.

Comment

I don’t know, Shields to a posh southern boy was nearly as bad as that!

Comment

Working...
            X