Sitting the AIB for the RFA soon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sitting the AIB for the RFA soon

Hi - I have my AIB for the RFA soon and was hoping that someone could shed some light on a couple of things that I have been wondering about.

Firstly, I have heard that the planning exercises are not necessarily based on the completion/overall success of the plan, but more so on your overall confidence and leadership potential during the exercise. Does anyone know how much truth this holds? I ask because I am completing some practice examples at the moment and while it is going well, I imagine these to be slightly easier than the ones I will face on the day and I can imagine that the risks of making a mistake like calculation errors etc. Will be slightly higher with the pressures of the environment. (Maybe that's the point??)

I was also wondering how strict the board are with ship recognition on the day. I mean in terms of distinguishing between specific ships of a particular class, and not just identifying the classes themselves.

Any other insight into the overall process would also be very much appreciated! Cheers.

Haven't done the RFA AIB, only the RN but I believe they are reasonably similar.

confidence is key, you are trying to demonstrate leadership potential, not necessarily finely polished leadership skills - so failing a leadership task isn't always a bad thing, so long as the processes and procedures are ok. However, if you put a few minutes of planning into the PLTs, you shouldn't be failing them.

The planning exercise is a little more more tricky but i didn't think it was rocket science. Just be careful with the likes of calculations, and don't be afraid to ask for help from your team - doubtless there will be some numbers whizz...

They won't fail you for ship recognition, however, expect them to be strict. I thought I'd right totally cocked some things up but at the end of the process all was ok. Just remember they are looking at the bigger pictures, so cocking up a PLT as a leader, and then the planning, and then not recognising ships/operations isn't going to portray you in the best light...

youll do fine if you have put in a bit of work - I don't know how physical the RFA AIB is but the only thing I wish I'd done differently is being a bit fitter!

Comment

Working...
    X