In need of some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of some advice

I am worried and really need some advice, the last 2 years I?ve been at college doing electrical and electronic engineering and plan to apply for the ETO cadetship as I would love to do the cadetship but I am really worried I won?t be able to do the college work specifically the maths and physics because the only level it?s offered at is HND and FD, and to be honest the last two years hasn?t been a breeze for myself and that was at GCSE level and some higher/A level, so wondering would the HNC engine cadetship be a bit easier or just the same sorry if this sounds stupid and a bit obnoxious.

Hello and welcome!

I can't speak for the technical side but on the deck HND we basically started maths from scratch. I'm sure someone who's done the ETO course will be along soon though!
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Could you comment on if the maths was the same for the cadets doing the HNC?

Comment

We didn't have the HNC at my college for cadets, only HND. It should be exactly the same course in any case, the difference comes at the end.
        sigpic
        Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Thank you!, that?s what kinda confuses me as to do the FD you need A levels to get in as opposed to the HNC/D route of only needing GSCEs and the only difference is the qualification!

Comment

Yegshamesh Borat. From my experience, the main difference between FD and HND/C is that with the former you are expected to do a bit more independent study, whereas HN routes are more classroom based teaching and therefore more accessible/immediate feedback. The level of maths was the same, just the teaching methods. That said, and to echo CD there was heaps of support at Warsash for us on FD with the more academic studies, and you really can start it from basics if necessary.

I can imagine that ETO will be quite maths/physics heavy with all that electrickery nonsense but if you're doing alright at college so far, and you're willing to put the effort in on the bits you don't get, then you should be in a good place to start.

Remember at the end of the day, the qualification you are going for is your ETO ticket, not an HND/FD certificate! How you get there is largely irrelevant once you're qualified
            Superyacht OOW
            SSTG Cadet 2015-2017
            Ex Royal Navy Navigator.

Comment

Yegshamesh snowy!, thanks that?s cleared a lot up and put my worries to ease for the moment!.

Comment

Ive just completed the HND electrical engineering at a college and im now starting the ETO course in september. As for the last two years at college it has been difficult because of commitment rather than academic difficulty. So if you approach this ETO course which is similar im guessing if you apply yourself the results will follow. So id say go for it, you only get one life. Work hard play hard.

Comment

Working...
                X