RFA Cadets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFA Cadets?

So I just phoned the RFA for a deck cadet application form today, gave my personal details, just waiting on the application arriving.

Are there any RFA cadets on here that can tell me what training is like at BRNC? How long it lasts, what it involves etc. before you are sent to a nautical college.

Which nautical colleges do the RFA send their cadets to?

Also, does anyone know how many deck cadets they recruit each year?

And an important question...what's the application process like? The board interview, the fitness test etc.
    "Did I tell you about my theory about sailors? Sailors are the finest people in the world."

Re: RFA Cadets?

See http://www.toysoutofthepram.com for additional information.

I thought you had already started your cadetship?
    Forum Admin

Comment

Originally posted by The H
      See http://www.toysoutofthepram.com for additional information.

I thought you had already started your cadetship?
      oh do keep up at the back
      Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
      Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
      No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Yeaaaah but I was sacked! Failed pd :/
        "Did I tell you about my theory about sailors? Sailors are the finest people in the world."

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy

oh do keep up at the back
          Sorry Chief!
          Forum Admin

Comment

Originally posted by effiestephy
            So I just phoned the RFA for a deck cadet application form today, gave my personal details, just waiting on the application arriving.

Are there any RFA cadets on here that can tell me what training is like at BRNC? How long it lasts, what it involves etc. before you are sent to a nautical college.

7 weeks at BRNC Dartmouth. Involves PT, Militarization, PT, Fitness Tests, PT, exercise COLDA, PT, drill training, Passing out Parade.

Which nautical colleges do the RFA send their cadets to?

Engine - Warsash
            Deck - Fleetwood
            (These is from final phase and subject to change)

Also, does anyone know how many deck cadets they recruit each year?

No idea

And an important question...what's the application process like? The board interview, the fitness test etc.

AIB is not easy, however, it is to test that you are suitable to work on a ship over your overall knowledge. They might have some questions as to why you are fired.
            Fitness tests are mainly in BRNC, although from what I saw the times allowed for the girls made it quite easy for them.
            Forum Admin

Comment

what's pd

Comment

just curious what does exercise colda involve?

I did the army officer selection board brief a few years back can imagine it's pretty similar to AIB. Make sure your fit, do a few online aptitude tests, read the papers and generaly squared away. Hardest bit was the planex.

http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/genera ... nex_v2.pdf

link incase anyone is borred or if AIB has something similar some practice

Comment

Originally posted by thrisan06
                  what's pd
                  Professional Diploma
                  "I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way". --- Captain John Paul Jones, 1778.

Comment

AIB's are never fun very easy to fail them even worse if its for the Royal Navy mind as RFA you work with the RN and i believe treated the same as a RN officer by the ratings i.e being saluted and called ma'am or sir
                    Be what you want to be not what other people tell you to be
                    Adapt and over come
                    Careers At Sea Ambassador

Comment

Not wanting to put you off, but the AIB is very hard. my advice would be to learn about the whole aspect of the RN and learn about the weapon systems on all of the ships, the planning exercise i found hardest having to take in all the information in such a short period of time is tough.
                      be well prepared and be confident, pass or fail it is a lot of fun.
                      i didn't pass but i'm with carnival now it's all good.

Comment

I heard that sometimes they recruit as few as 10 cadets each year, could be wrong though, mind you they do only have 13 ships now

Comment

RFA recruitment section are constantly whining that they don't get enough good applicants, especially engineer cadet applicants who can pass an AIB, so numbers of cadets actually recruited have been lower in recent years than there have been funded places for.,

Comment

As for the AIB- put in the work and do the prep and you will pass!

The RFA, recently, put a stop on external qualified officer recruitment. To be reviewed on a month by month basis.

Comment

Traditionally the RFA was one of the best cadetships to get, and probably still is a good training ground. But I'd suggest anyone considering the RFA to think about the implications of funding cuts on the military and the long term future.
                              Still, all the cadets I knew who went through the RFA seemed to love the training, and always came across as professional guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X