• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gidion
    replied
    Re: Graduate Fast Track

Thanks for all your replies!

Although my course is mainly electrical I do study mechanical modules covering torque, bending moments, stress strain etc. We study alongside the mechanical students who also study electric modules. A very close friend of mine is at South Tyneside College training as an ETO cadet for a cruise company, whose name escapes me,(the company, not the friend) and he seems to be studying identical or near identical topics/modules.

I previoiusly trained as an electrician before I was offered a place on my HE course, so have more experience with electrical systems and maths than electronics, which i would think would work in my favour.

Andyk - Im not yet with a company, Im just weighing up my options and making enquiries before i begin the application process!

Leave a comment:

• dawg
    replied

Originally posted by AndyK
    Depends on the company. I believe ETOs have to have the mechanical understanding too. You still have to complete the MNTB workshop book so even if you did get on the fast track you will still have to do the academic part (just takes half the time). I too have a BEng(Hons) in Electronic Engineering but I am doing the engineers course not the ETO course - but we have ETOs in our lectures. Unless you have previous mechanical qualifications you might find you have to do the full course. There are a guys with degrees in Mechanical Engineering with us and their companies are still making them do the full course (which I think is best anyway as you get the most out of it). What company are you with Gidion ?

I think the Initial assessment letter is a requirement for the fast-track - but don't quote me on that as I am not sure myself as the course is still a sponsored EOOW course.
    Reportedly, WMA ETO is the mechanical one (with EOOW); STC ETO is the electrical one (without EOOW).

I would have thought after an LoIA, he might have a chance of the Carnival fast track... electronics (in contrast to electrical) seems largely irrelevant for cadetships... but with all that entertainment gadgetry on cruise ships, they might find a use for it.

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied

with regards to the ETO FD course at STC, we've had to study mechanics alongside the electrical /electronics subjects. Seems strange, but you might need some mechanics knowledge such as shm, torque to get on the ETO fast track course.

Leave a comment:

• penfold
    replied

Originally posted by AndyK
    I think the Initial assessment letter is a requirement for the fast-track - but don't quote me on that as I am not sure myself as the course is still a sponsored EOOW course.
    A Letter of Initial Assessment from the MCA is what you need, but you can't get that until you actually have your degree certificate(the MCA drone will need to see that and a summary of your performance over the 3(?) years of the course). The LIA will state what courses you need to do, what you are exempt from and how many months of seatime you need before you can sit the oral. You may be able to get an indication of what you're looking at if you phone the MCA, but I found it very difficult to speak to anyone other than clerical staff.

I like it being called the fast-track(I'm a grad conversion), makes it sound special and exciting! I have found it mostly not special or exciting; it is faster than the ordinary cadetship though(18 months(including 6 months seatime) for me opposed to 3 years).

Leave a comment:

• AndyK
    replied

Depends on the company. I believe ETOs have to have the mechanical understanding too. You still have to complete the MNTB workshop book so even if you did get on the fast track you will still have to do the academic part (just takes half the time). I too have a BEng(Hons) in Electronic Engineering but I am doing the engineers course not the ETO course - but we have ETOs in our lectures. Unless you have previous mechanical qualifications you might find you have to do the full course. There are a guys with degrees in Mechanical Engineering with us and their companies are still making them do the full course (which I think is best anyway as you get the most out of it). What company are you with Gidion ?

Leave a comment:

• Gidion
    replied

Also, I understand I would have to complete all fire, first aid and safety courses etc as well as completing some workshop time before i could undertake any time at sea and ultimately gain my Officer of the watch certificate. I assume that i would be skipping the academic side as i would already be 'qualified'?

Finally, is the ?60 MCA initial assesment letter essential?

Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• Gidion
    started a topic Graduate Fast Track

Graduate Fast Track

Hello all.

Im new to the forum and have a few questions to ask. Apologies if they have already been answered elsewhere; I have had a browse through the forum but couldnt quite find what i needed.

I am 23 and looking to become an ETO cadet. I believe there is a 'Fast Track' option for graduates. Next year I will graduate with a Foundation Degree (hopefully with Distinction) in Electric and Electronic Engineering and was wondering if that was sufficient to gain sponsorship, or if i would have to complete an extra year for my honours degree before i would be accepted? Can any of you kind fellows (and fellowettes) provide any more information on this route?

Thanks in advance
Working...
X