Dropping out of University

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropping out of University

Can I please ask if being a university drop-out would significantly reduce my chances of being accepted by a sponsoring company. I understand that many companies would view it negatively but would it make a successful application near-impossible? The reason why I dropped out is that I simply didn't like the purely theoretical nature of university, I much prefer a slightly more practical environment. Thanks in advance for any information.

Re: Dropping out of University

I was taken on and I dropped out after second year.
    Forum Admin

Comment

I dropped out like 2 weeks before the end of the 1st year of uni. I was studying media and while the theory was a doss and I was good at it, it became monotonous and wasn't what i had envisioned. Add to that the death of a mate and let's just say it was the final straw. I just thought sod it - why waste my time doing something I'm barely enjoying.

At the end of the day I don't think it will hinder you too severely, they may just emphasise how important your decision is and that it should be the right one so don't worry too much. It will be like anything else - if you have the right attitude then you'll be fine

Comment

For the Benefit of Chris 10.
        Considering the reasons you have given for dropping out, any Marine Recruiter who knows what they are about, would view your dropping out as an absolute positive - if they don't then they should not be recruiting for the Merchant Navy.
        The only reservation they might legitimately have is to wonder "What the hell were you doing there in the first place ?"
        To you from failing hands we throw - The Torch;
        Be yours to hold it high.
        If ye break faith with us of old,
        We shall not sleep,
        nor shall you either !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris10
          I much prefer a slightly more practical environment.
          It would probably help if you could provide some evidence for that (meaning something you can talk about, you don't need to bring in photos!), for example, some kind of practical project you've been involved in.

A lot of employers these days seem to go for "competency-based questions", which basically boils down to you having a prepared set of examples of things in your head that you can talk about in enough depth to show your level of interest and your attitude... essentially, how you deal with difficulties.

My experience so far is that all sincere demonstrations of rolling your sleeves up and doing something about any difficulties you have, are looked upon very favourably by staff and all good sponsor companies. So I think it depends on how you explain why you dropped out... so that you show how you were decisive and pro-active in what you did.

You probably want to show that you: recognised a problem; stopped, researched and took stock of the options; and then made a positive decision to solve the problem, by doing something better (i.e. that you have a passion for).
          Note the style of language I'm using: active verbs; problem-solving; positivity; avoiding waffle (or trying to ).
          Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

Thank you all very much for the information and advice, it has certainly reduced my concerns about being a university drop-out. It has also given me a better idea of what to expect at an interview which is extremely valuable.

The reason why I started the degree was because it was in one of the fields which I was interested in (Aerospace), I assumed that I would automatically enjoy it. I underestimated how little if the course would be directly related to aviation (most of it was pure mathematics and physics). It has certainly taught me a lot:

Firstly, I shouldn't assume that because a career is based on a subject I am interested in I will enjoy it.
            Secondly, I need to very carefully research both the course content and the tasks I will be completing in the workplace (which I have done with the Merchant Navy).
            Thirdly, I realised that my academic ability is more based on memory than deriving new equations etc.
            Finally, I realised that with many of my interests (ships, aircraft etc.), I have a greater interest in operations than design.

I have had some experience of hands-on activities. Whilst I was at university I was involved in Formula Student, which is a global competition where students have to build a small racing car. I really enjoyed it but had to leave when I decided to leave university. In my current job I have to run a shop by myself, whilst it isn't hands-on in a technical sense I do have to be well organised and plan ahead etc.

These (Formula Student and work) are the two main examples I have used in my applications so far, I just hope that they are good enough to get me an interview.

Comment

Gee man - thats just fantastic.
              I am no recruiter myself - but if I was - I would be saying - Welcome on board, and adding no doubt, in your case an interview will not be necessary at all - just an Eng 1, - will be fine
              To you from failing hands we throw - The Torch;
              Be yours to hold it high.
              If ye break faith with us of old,
              We shall not sleep,
              nor shall you either !!!

Comment

You should not have any problems on account of dropping out; you have stated sensible reasons for doing so and have not wasted your time finding a job afterwards. The motorsport bit can only help too. Dropping out is only likely to set the recruiter's spidersenses tingling if you just dossed around on the dole afterwards.
                '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
                just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
                down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
                new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

yah all seems good so long as you properly explain why ( which you have ) should not be a problem.

Also highlights that you realised it wasnt for you and did something about it instead of just sticking it out and doing something after - Problem solving, showing initative....
                  Wise man says.... " Enough with the stupid questions "

Comment

One thing that should be made very clear here. None of us actually do proper cadet recruitment so everything we are telling you is just our subjective opinion. We might not view it badly, but a company that is looking at your documentation might view it differently. They are about to spend quite a fortune on you, so it could be a case of "he dropped out of university, what are the chances he drop's out of this?"
                    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Eh? So it's altruism and nothing to do with lovely tonnage tax offsets? I may be labouring under a false impression, but I believe there is a net profit to be made out of cadets. Your point still stands though; the OP will need to present a convincing explanation about dropping out of the university course and why that won't happen with the cadetship.
                      '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
                      just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
                      down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
                      new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

...hence the mention of "competency-based question" corporate babble... they'll interview more people than they can remember, so the stuff that makes you stand out... body language, tone and style of speech, interesting examples for answers are the cynical way to produce a good performance. It's amazing how many youngsters slouch, fidgit and mumble at interview... it can scupper them even if on paper they look a safe bet. ...then again, you don't want to "stand out" too much ...you just need to come across as a safe bet to complete the thing, someone who gets off their arse to sort the inevitable occasional problem out, and seem easy to deal with etc...
                        Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

Maybe I phrased that badly, you are worth a lot of money. You are going to cost a lot of money. Basically, lots of money is going to be involved over that 3 year period so they are going to want someone who is unlikely to drop out.

Comment

You could always just not tell them. Not saying you should lie just emphasize other parts of your cv. ESpecialy if you have worked part time whist at Uni and being working since. CVs, application forms and interviews areall about selling yourself.

Comment

If you lie and they find out about it then it becomes a "so what else?" situation. Basically, they will start to ask themselves "so what else has he lied about?" and you may be thrown out. Best to come clean with a real reason and think up a good way to re-assure them that you wont drop out.

Comment

Working...
                              X