Announcement

Collapse

SITE UPGRADE

We've just performed a major upgrade to the forum software. You may have noticed things look a bit different!

Please note that some features have yet to be reinstated, this will be done over the next few days. Attachments, pictures and signatures may not function as they should for the time being.

Thanks for your patience!
See more
See less

ENG1 Medical Requirements - What to expect?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ENG1 Medical requirements (What to expect)

He also goes through family and personal medical history, and also does eye test and colour blind test. Cost me around £80, but took me the good part of a hour!

Comment

Mine only consisted of some of that. No hearing, hernia(thankfully), reflexes or cripple(what?lol) tests for me.

Comment

I was really worried about mine but just had it this morning, it was easy even with being overweight.
        Mine just consisted of; can you see? (He even told me when i shouldn't be able to see anything!), have you got a hernia?, a quick check in the ears, pee in a pot, heart, blood pressure, breathing, and, height/weight.
        £80 for something that only took half an hour.
        Flickr Twitter
        No man would go to sea if skilled enough to get himslef into prison, for a jail has more room , more honest company , and you are somewhat less likley to drown ( Dr. Samuel Johnson)

Comment

Thanks all.

I was told by Clyde, that the letter I was given should cover me for the expense, but I will take the £80 just to be on the safe side.

Thanks

Comment

Alrite for some! Just got an email telling me to go for mine, and if i'm successful, touch wood, i won't get reimbursed until september!

Comment

Where are you hoping to study at Kyle2711?

Thanks to all those for the replies in regards to the ENG1 Medical.

Comment

Warsash with SSTG if all goes to plan, yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkW
                  I was really worried about mine but just had it this morning, it was easy even with being overweight.
                  Depends if you're just carrying a bit extra or actually a hippoblimp; if the latter the quack will give you earache about not eating so many pies.
                  '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
                  just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
                  down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
                  new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

My doc was cupping a nice warm cup of tea before the "cough" test ... want his number ?

Comment

do you have to do the eye test with and without glasses if you wear glasses?

Comment

A basic eyesight acuity test is done without glasses like any regular eye test and your vision needs to be 6/60 or better. Then you will be tested with glasses where you need to meet 6/6 in at least one eye (I don't see the point to this though as everyone wearing glasses should automatically have 6/6 as that would be the point to having glasses in the first place).

Edit: Forgot to mention you also need to pass a colour-blindness test.
                        "I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way". --- Captain John Paul Jones, 1778.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyK
                          My doc was cupping a nice warm cup of tea before the "cough" test ... want his number ?
                          I swear mine eats a corneto first to get his hands nice and bloody cold!!!!!
                          Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                          Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                          No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

is 6/60 the top line on the chart?

Comment

Originally posted by thrisan06
                              is 6/60 the top line on the chart?
                              I think so. Size 60 font readable at 6 feet? Just book yourself a free NHS eye test and ask your optician to verify if you meet this standard. That's what I did as I didn't see the point in filling applications if I were to later fail the ENG1.
                              "I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way". --- Captain John Paul Jones, 1778.

Comment

Yeah it is. just search eyesight chart on wikipedia (or something thereabouts) and it shows up. its the same as 20/200 as I think theres something like metric conversion involved to get the 6/60 number
                                "We're not pirates, We're preemptive nautical salvage experts"

Comment

Working...
                                X