Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ENG1 Medical Requirements - What to expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENG1 Medical Requirements - What to expect?

Hey guys,

Got my ENG1 medical next week, and just wondering if anyone could explain when exactly goes on?

Also, anyone who is with HAL, what is their medical like?

Thanks.

Re: Medical

** what goes on

Comment

Height
      Weight
      Sight (inc. colour blind tests)
      Hearing
      Urine sample
      Bit of poking and prodding around your waist
      They'll ask you about you're family history and if you have any problems that could interfer with you working at sea.

Nothing to fear it's all pretty straight forward.

If you don''t go to the dentist or it's been ages since you've had a check up they may ask you to get your teeth checked out.

Comment

Ive heard people have different experiences about ENG1's....so ill just tell ya about mine

You spend a while with the nurse who does a urine test to test for sugars as well as colour blindness, height, weight, blood pressure, lung capacity and the standard cover one eye and read the bottom line jobby.
        then you see the doctor who checks all your joints and listens to your breathing and heart.

Ive had two and they've both been idencital......with no "cough please" as many of the lads think!

hope this helps

Comment

wow she can check if you're colour blind with a urine sample lol

i had a 'cough please' but he had his hand on my waist.

Comment

yeahh they can do wicked things with a bit of urine these days.....she could even tell what car i drive! :L

Comment

and what you had to drink three days ago too probably!
              I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Urine at medicals isn't normally for drugs or booze. They are looking for protein or sugars that shouldn't be there that would indicate various problems. They just put some indicator paper in it. Drugs testing takes more lab work. Never thought my past life as failed biomed student would come in handy.

Comment

That and a drug test requires actual paperwork that you sign, if it's one of them you will know all about it.

Though my last one siad I was pregnant?!?!?!?!?
                  The cough and drop (as it's called) is looking for hernias and can be check without coughing or dropping depends on the doctor really, and as you get older they may check your "bits" for lumps and legs for veins etc.

There are moves to toughen up the testing etc, but still not happened.
                  Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                  Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                  No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

The Last medical I had was wierd, wasn't for an ENG1 though. "Strip down to your underwear and sit on the bench Right I'm just going to look in your ear". The jogging on the spot doing a press up, whalking on tip toes and Jumping all in my underwear. Pretty sure the docto was borred and taking the mick.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy

Though my last one siad I was pregnant?!?!?!?!?
                      What have you been upto Chiefy?
                      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyC
                        Hey guys,

Got my ENG1 medical next week, and just wondering if anyone could explain when exactly goes on?

Also, anyone who is with HAL, what is their medical like?

Thanks.
                        The HAL one is pretty much the same except they do an x-ray of your lungs and also take blood samples if it is your first one. It is only different because they are Dutch flagged vessels and they have different medical requirements. You can find out what's involved from the Dutch here; http://www.ivw.nl/english/Images/Medica ... 231361.pdf

Coincidently you will find a few countries (and companies also) do not recognise the ENG-1 as a valid medical certificate, on its own, for service on their ships.
                        ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                        myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis
                          Pretty sure the docto was borred and taking the mick.
                          HAHA. Yup that's one theory XD

Comment

ENG1 Medical requirements (What to expect)

Evening all,

Just a quick query, what does the ENG1 Medical involve?

I sincerely apologise as i'm sure this topic has been asked about too many times .

I'm just trying to get a general idea, as I have mine on Monday 7th March,

Cheers.

Comment

Re: ENG1 Medical requirements (What to expect)

Wash under the bridge as there's a cough test. Blood pressure, hearing, eyesight, piss test(to check kidney function not for drugs), weight/height, listen to heart/lungs, abdomen palpation, hernia(cough test), reflexes. If he's bored he might look in your ears or get you to demonstrate that you can bend your knees/are not a cripple. That's your lot; 15 minutes if he's taking his time and ?70 please.
                              '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
                              just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
                              down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
                              new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

Working...
                              X