I GOT INTO CLYDE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I GOT INTO CLYDE!

hey guys! i got into clyde marine training and im now at the point to pick my top 3 companies. Im a bit stuck cause i dont know what ones to pick now!

Ive had a good look through the book they gave me with all the sponsership companies info and im thinking about P&O ferries as my top one. I dont want to be the only brit on the ship and ive heard that has happened with zodiac (but im keeping an open mind!).

So what do you guys think? with all these companies to choose from where do i begin! ive had a look through them all and i dont want to get none of my top choices!

Thanks guys

Re: I GOT INTO CLYDE!

Hi TommyC.

You don't say if you're deck or engine which could make a difference. You might want to think about what sectors you want to get into.

Ferries, cargo, oil tankers, bulk chemicals, cruise ships, off shore support. I would say you're more likely to find other Brits in the off shore sector and cruise ships.

One of my old lecturers was a chief engineer with P&O ferries and since the crossings are short, a lot of time is spent docking not so much time as sea so you might not get as much time to get your training book filled out.
    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

How stupid of me!!! its for engineering! i would like to actually get a good education which i why i would rather be with people who speak fluent english (im not saying other nationalities arent good! its just easier with someone i am more familiar with!)

What ships typically have the best accomidation?

Comment

well cargo ships and oil tankers seems to have the biggest cabins, there was a car carrier on the mighty ships tv programme and it looked like a hotel room.

Of the clyde cadets I know, they either opted for the offshore sector such as Acergy or got assigned Zodiac.
        Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Go for Northern Marine Management, then you get ferries, tankers, and tall ships.
          "Did I tell you about my theory about sailors? Sailors are the finest people in the world."

Comment

I had to think about this one as well. Northern Marine Management is suppose to be good, and the accommodation provided is pretty good. Someone I know had a four bedroom cabin all to herself.

Another company to consider is Wilhelmsen. They don't look to bad at all on the might ships program.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSlq_M_f6EA

Hope this is of some use.
            "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
            "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Experience with Container, General Cargo and Cruise vessels.

Comment

I can confirm Wilhelmsen do take on through Clyde as this is the company that is sponsoring me and my friend, so this would be a viable option. Plus we have heard from a number of tutors/experienced sailors they are meant to be a good company to work for, cant complain at all! The other two guys got Lomar and one guy got Zodiac.

Comment

Working...
              X