Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clyde Marine Training Officer Cadet contract

Morning all,

Just a quick query, I am currently in talk with another training company for a Cadetship, but I have sent away my CMT forms today to accept there offer.

Am I bound into their contract now or if I am offered a cadetship with another company can I still decline the offer at a later stage?

I'm not one to decline offers at the last moment, but if I were to undertake the ENG1 Medical and everything would I have to re-imburse Clyde with any fee's?

Thanks.

Re: Clyde Marine Training Officer Cadet contract

Not entirely sure, who is the other offer from?

If you want this other offer, call up Clyde now and turn their offer down.
    "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
    "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Experience with Container, General Cargo and Cruise vessels.

Comment

Lewisscott22,

I have had no offer from the company in question as yet, I'm only in talks & they are Wightlink.

I have heard somewhere that a offer can be declined, it's only until you sign the Sponsors contract that you can't.

Can anyone clarify this?

Cheers.

Comment

Hi I would not be so hasty to turn down an offer till a firm offer from the other company was on the table. I think red funnell are clyde but wightlink are SSTG and they would not touch my level 2 adult numeracy. I know when I phoned them in regard to my application they said they dont accept level 2 as equivalent even though a lot of universities do. I did tell them I had engineering qualifications as well and my dad and grandad were ex navy my grandad was an engineering officer and my dad was a clearance diver in the royal but they were adamant that they did not accept key skills so be cautious. I hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks Dr BB,

From what I was told Wightlink do recruit individually and also through SSTG.

I'm not going to withdraw my acceptance from CMT anytime soon, I was just asking whether if another offer was on the tabel can you contact CMT to let them know that you would like to decline their offer?.

Thanks

Comment

Hi wilson,
            CMT are a good company and are inundated with applications at the moment which does speak volumes but I believe you would be better off financially as a cadet with SSTG as they pay for your accomodation and meals and give you a generous allowance also Wightlink look like a very good firm to work for and also pay your accomodation. CMT you get 680 a month but have to pay your own accomodation which is adequate as long as you budget. In my opinion wait and see if you get an offer with wightlink or SSTG and then decide whats best for you. I get 650 a month with Carisbrooke and have to pay my own accomodation but would not swap because the people including the training manager are great and listen when you have a problem so its up to you I just think money isnt everything although it helps. JASON aka Dr BB PS tired at the moment got exams and then off to sea on phase 2 all being well.

Comment

Hey DrBonerBoy, just to let you know CMT have upped thier monthly pay to ?700 a month (?175 a week, rather than the ?170 before), doesn't seem like a lot at first glace but when you are on a budget like most cadets are that extra ?20 really does come in handy!

Comment

?700 a month is a quite a nice sum of money, RNR do you know how much it is monthly to pay for accomodations and food etc?
                Is the pay tax and NI free?

Thanks

Comment

Its ?440 a month for rent and that includes your breakfast and evening meals 7 days a week in the canteen. It is slightly cheaper if you only pay for 5 days a week rent. However, you would have to go home every weekend. Also, I think theres an option to just pay your monthly rent and just breakfast (no evening meal), but I wouldn't advise this as it would be expensive to eat out every night and the halls do not have thier own cooking facilities.

Pretty sure we don't pay tax or NI, or if we do its covered by the company etc as when Clyde said what amount I was getting I got that amount, no deductions.

Thus, you are left with about ?260 spending money a month after rent, not too bad and a lot better than the ?200 you would get on say the dole (damn recession!)

Comment

Yep damn right, I'm currently signing on the dole and I f**king hate it (Pardon my french).

I've had to live on ?45 per month after deductions so having over ?200 will be a nice treat. I would most likely stick with the 7 day a week meals etc, as I wouldn't go home every weekend, it would be too expensive.

Overall, thats quite surprisingly good, however I'm sure some Officer cadets will say otherwise.

Cheers.

Comment

Same with me mate, petrol costs an arm and a leg now! It's all about budgeting, if you make sure you've got enough for essentials such as useful books, college equipment, snacks, beer , going out money, petrol money etc etc then its ok. If people go from a full time average to well paid job to a cadetship it may be a shock to the system as they won't have as much disposable income. Luckily for me (and prob you) I was used to budgeting as I, unfortunatly, had to sign on before my cadetship as well.

Got to say though, overall I think I made the right choice. Made some good friends so far, got to do things I'd never get to do in a boring office job (with many more new experiences ahead of me i.e. piloting a lifeboat) and learning about an industry I am really interested in/earning at the same time! I look forward to being at sea and seeing much more of the world!

Comment

Originally posted by RNR
                        Same with me mate, petrol costs an arm and a leg now! It's all about budgeting, if you make sure you've got enough for essentials such as useful books, college equipment, snacks, beer , going out money, petrol money etc etc then its ok. If people go from a full time average to well paid job to a cadetship it may be a shock to the system as they won't have as much disposable income. Luckily for me (and prob you) I was used to budgeting as I, unfortunatly, had to sign on before my cadetship as well.

Got to say though, overall I think I made the right choice. Made some good friends so far, got to do things I'd never get to do in a boring office job (with many more new experiences ahead of me i.e. piloting a lifeboat) and learning about an industry I am really interested in/earning at the same time! I look forward to being at sea and seeing much more of the world!
                        Yep, I totally agree with that.

Well to be honest, my first plan was to join the RAF as a Navigator, my application was then withdrawn due to the defence cuts, so I opted for the Merchant Navy, I have never seen it as a second best option, but I always wanted a life as Aircrew.
                        But, in reality, the training, living accomodation and things like that are the same, only its Sea based and not Air based, but I am very much looking forward to it.

I did think about bringing my current car, but its a such a big load to insure, I don't honestly think I could afford it, so I think I will have to resort to getting the train, unless I get a really really crummy car with less than 1.0L engine, but I will have to see .

Anyway I am moving away from the Original post.

Comment

Digressing is always good! Let us all know what happens regarding your contract anyway

Comment

RNR, cheers, and of course I will.

To be honest, since posting this thread and the positive comments that I have been left with, it has increased the positives of staying with CMT, but like others have said, I will see what comes around.

Thanks

Comment

Its whatever feels like the right company for you mate. At the end of the day we all come out with a ticket but how you got there can be helped by choosing the right company in my opinion, you will have to let us know when you start and me and my fellow cadets can show you the sights of South Shields!

Comment

Working...
                              X