Sponsorship for previous cadets..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponsorship for previous cadets..

Does anyone know companies that will sponsor a previous cadet to go back to college and train again on the alternative route rather than PD?

I have my STCW 95 certificates in Personal Survival Techniques, Elementary First Aid, Fire Fighting and Fire Prevention, Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities. Also, a Discharge Book, and a British Seaman's Card.
    "Did I tell you about my theory about sailors? Sailors are the finest people in the world."

Re: Sponsorship for previous cadets..

I would be skeptical I am afraid.

As was explained to me the way the Smart Funding, I think that is what is is called, works is you have so much and if you spend half it you can't get it back. Therefore when you start the course again, from scratch, your funding wouldn't cover all costs and your sponsoring company I would imagine would need to fork out....

However, I might be off here? Best bet would be to phone up one of the agencies and ask.

Comment

I phoned a few companies and asked, they said I was to send in an application, and a covering letter explaining what happened in college through phase 1.
      "Did I tell you about my theory about sailors? Sailors are the finest people in the world."

Comment

Whatever happens best luck on getting back in!

Comment

Thanks! Sooo gutted I have to miss out because of my college being the worst there is.

Comment

Ahh.... so you dropped out of phase one because the college was a sham?

I say this because it may change circumstances when reapplying.

Comment

...before this thread develops... can I just remind people about online libel
              It's good to have a discussion about an issue of concern to cadets and wannabes, but we have to keep it sensible.
              cheers.
              Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

Long story. I started the pd course 2 months into it. Our lecturer for Bridge Watchkeeping and Naval Architecture never bothered showing up to classes, if she ever did, she didn't teach us. Our Nav Maths lecturer didn't have a clue about the subject. We had 24 exams to do, did 2 before Christmas, and the rest between January 15th and February 18th, as we has STCW courses straight after Christmas. I had a personal problem, and had to miss some college, and my course leader said he would inform the lecturers to support me and give me extra help, and when I went back to college, I was told 'you shouldn't even have took the day off to go to the funeral!' by one lecturer, another claimed he saw me standing outside Greggs the day of the funeral...(that was my best friend's funeral). So, I eventually didn't pass enough on time, I could do some resits, but in the end they decided I wasn't fit for pd and that I didn't have time to do my resits anyway, and so, I got sacked, along with a few others. The people I know who have managed to pass are former university students, mainly older ones, and the ones that stay in the accommodation and get phase 3 cadets to teach them.

Comment

Really sorry to hear what happened to you.

At least the basic STCW tickets will help if you want another job at sea to tide you over. I think you'll just have to apply for the next intake and avoid the previous company and college. Explain what happened to your previous attempt at interview stage if the question comes up.

Are you a Nautilus member? I wonder if they can provide any advice or assistance with getting into another cadetship, especially as it sounds like this affected a large group of cadets.

Comment

I got quite upset about it, because I want this career soooo badly, and I have to lose out now, and I'm not blaming myself, because I know I could have passed if I had the right training that was supposed to be provided. No matter how many times we complained, nothing happened, and so a few of us end up being sacked, there are still others doing resits this week, I hope they pass, because I don't want them in the same situation as me, and I know they want it badly, just unfair the college had to treat us this way.

Comment

Well, I phoned the MCA and they're gonna get my SMarT funding back for phase 1, gotta send a letter in explaining what happened at college.

Comment

Thats good news! nice one least you get a 2nd stab at it
                        Be what you want to be not what other people tell you to be
                        Adapt and over come
                        Careers At Sea Ambassador

Comment

Yeaaah Someone told me his mate is with his 3rd company at a 3rd college!

One of the nc cadets just had a go at me on Facebook, said it's a f**king disgrace what I'm doing. The MCA told me I should send a letter in and complain. My class complained all through phase 1, don't see why he's having a go at me. He claims I'm using the funeral story for sympathy, which I am not, I even have witnesses to the lecturer saying those things to me. Some people make me angry...

Comment

Originally posted by effiestephy
                            Yeaaah Someone told me his mate is with his 3rd company at a 3rd college!
                            Problem with this is that it may well ring alarm bells with potential employers. Remember the MN is a smallish industry in the UK these day and people in companies/colleges inevitably will talk/ will know somone who knows someone etc. Ovbviously if you had very good reasons for starting three times (in different places) then this may not be a problem - even if you have, employers often dislike any hint of being unreliable - not saying its fair, but just the way of the world.

Comment

3rd Company at his 3rd College? Thats a bit much.

Squareleg is right. From an employer's point of view, if you change company regularly (e.g. after one or two trips) then that would normally give us grounds for concern and a reason would be requested for it at the very least.
                              I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Working...
                              X