Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which company? Anyone With P&O? Good/Bad Experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lukus
    replied
    Re: Which company? Anyone With P&O? Good/Bad Experiences?

Thanks Jenn, Good luck for the future!

Hi CharlieDelta, i've already been reading it along with a few other blogs (including the engineering ones which will have very little relevance to me should my applications be accepted, but they are still enlightening) and have been eagerly anticipating your latest entry which i now see is up! keep writing and stay well rested haha. I think in any career ladder you have to start right at the bottom and be a complete dogsbody but i'm glad to see you're still gaining the knowledge you need as well

Please if there is anyone with experience of Farstad, BP, norbulk and even Shell post here! thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• CharlieDelta
    replied

I'm a Carnival cadet, at sea at the minute. Have a look at my blog

Leave a comment:

• Jenn
    replied

I find them all intresting, but havnt done much anchor handling as we are on a lay by berth at the moment preparing to start a new charter so i cant really say much about AHTS.
    I enjoyed the container ship as we were on a good run - plenty of time ashore in Australia, cargo watch is just watching boxes going on and off the ship with a bit of ballasting thrown in.
    I quite enjoy the whole cargo planning side of tankers, but alot of the cargo watch involves spending time in the cargo control room when i'd prefer to be outside rather then looking at a screen - I cant really comment that much as the tanker i was on was chartered to the MOD so there was no real commercial pressures when I was onboard - but will be headed to a different tanker next month where hopefully we will be busy.

I have enjoyed all the vessels i have been on, and they all have their good points and their bad points but for me so far the good ones have outweighed the bad ones. I personally like being deep seaw ehere some times you are out of port for a couple of weeks, but i also enjoy the period when you have loads of ports all at once - 3 ports in 3 days, 10 ports in 2 weeks as the time tends to fly by.

Leave a comment:

• Lukus
    replied

I wasn't entirely sure how many phases you'd progressed through so you can appreciate my confusion. Sounds like a standard amount of time for the different vessels. Which have you found the most enjoyable/ intresting?

Leave a comment:

• Jenn
    replied

In my first two sea phases i only went on one ship for each phase doing four months on one of them and am now in my final sea phase which is 9 months in total and have done 3 and a half months so far this phase on a tanker but now im on an offshore boat where they do shorter trips so will be doing just over a month here and then joining my final ship where i will hopefull be till mid april before heading back to college for my last phase.
    Deepsea the officers tend to do around 3 months and only the top 4 (captain, chief officer, cheif engineer and 2nd engineer) tend to return the same vessel, so i have been on a ship with 3 different 3rd officers.

Leave a comment:

• Lukus
    replied

Hi Jenn,

Thanks for the info! How much time have you spent on each ship? It seems as though, at least from my perspective, you've been moved about quite a lot, and while that is great for experience it seems extremely hectic rather than a solid posting. How are you finding it? Is it harder to build a rapport with other crew members if you are being moved about so much?

Leave a comment:

• Jenn
    replied

I?m a cadet with Maersk and I like many of the other cadets in my intake have been lucky enough to get time on a couple of container ships, a product tanker and am now at the moment on AHTS but will shortly be leaving to join another tanker - this time one that is chemical class.
    Maersk may not be the top payers but the opportunity to spend time as a cadet on different types of vessels is one of the main reasons I chose to do my cadet ship with them.
    I have been able to see much of the world, getting to places that not many other people get to visit.
    I have also been lucky to get plenty of shore leave as many of the officers I have come across are of the opinion that you are only a cadet once and should enjoy it while you can.

Just thought I would add that this is all my own opinion and other cadets with Maersk may not share my views, but feel that personally for me that Maersk were the correct choice

Leave a comment:

• Lukus
    replied

That's great guys -- haha i've even been on the carnival website which is highly embarrassing, clearly I've spent too much time into the wee hours browsing various companies - they all just merge together. As I said I'm not overly enthused by cruise ships/ferries but thankyou for the help Any information on other companies will still be greatly appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• alistairuk
    replied

Hi Lukus, full details on the P&O, Princess, Cunard, etc. is located on their web site here; http://www.oceanopportunities.com/cadet/

Leave a comment:

• Maso210
    replied

Hi Lukus,

P&O is operated by Carnival UK (as is Cunard) therefore your application would be to them and not to P&O directly. The link below is from an old thread which lists the relevant application addresses:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=524

As for the sponsorship package, Carnival provide uniform and take care of college/tuition fees. The training bursary is about ?9500 a year but out of this you need to pay for your own accommodation.

Leave a comment:

• Lukus
    started a topic Which company? Anyone With P&O? Good/Bad Experiences?

Which company? Anyone With P&O? Good/Bad Experiences?

So I'm still scoping out various companies and while I'm not overly keen on going into Ro-Ros/Cruise ships my Brother-in-laws Sister-in-laws Brother (awkward i know) reccomended P&O.

Firstly I'd like to know if any of you are aware of what a [s:11zqhlai]P&O[/s:11zqhlai] Carnival sponsorship covers (e.g. course/uniform/accom) aand where their chosen training college is? Secondly I'd also like to know anyone who has prior experience with Carnival in general as a company be it working for them, or being sponsored by them.

Any help would be great!

Just as a subnote, I'm mainly interested in Cargo/Tanker (and maybe AHTS and CSV too?) work although would perhaps one day like to progress to a Cruise ship (Carry on Cruising is very close to my heart haha). Current Companies I'm interested in are Farstad, BP and Norbulk perhaps maersk. Any experiences and information in relation to the questions above would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys and gals
Working...
X