X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dobbie832
    • January 2011

application q's

I was hoping to start in September but I'm yet to apply to any companies, is it too late?

Do I have to apply to the colleges through UCAS as well? Or would I be advised how to apply to colleges by the sponsorship company which I should have already applied to?

I was going to start applying to a number of companies this week so hopefully I'm worrying about nothing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Cheers!
  • stronglead
    • September 2010

Re: application q's

hey

Not to late right now is high time for people sending in applications so your fine with that.

You just apply to your companies and they will send you to a college of there choice you don't apply to colleges or UCAS its all through the company that take you on it's not quite like regular college as you will find out.

Cheers SL
    Be what you want to be not what other people tell you to be
    Adapt and over come
    Careers At Sea Ambassador

Comment

• Ash
      • November 2010

Originally posted by dobbie832
      Do I have to apply to the colleges through UCAS as well? Or would I be advised how to apply to colleges by the sponsorship company which I should have already applied to?
      I had a look at UCAS before I applied and while they do list the MN specific courses they basically say you need to obtain sponsorship to be eligible to complete the course. So what I would do is fire off some applications to companies and see what happens
      "We're not pirates, We're preemptive nautical salvage experts"

Comment

• dobbie832
        • January 2011

Cheers guys, looks like I'd best get applying then!

Comment

• Ash
          • November 2010

Get yourself a decent personal statement sorted out before you do because it'll make life easier when filling in the application forms.

Comment

• dobbie832
            • January 2011

Originally posted by Ash
            Get yourself a decent personal statement sorted out before you do because it'll make life easier when filling in the application forms.
            I already have one from preparing my UCAS application

Sounds like a dumb question but on some of the companies websites it says 'explain why you want to go to sea' on the application form, are they expecting your personal statement in there or just a statement on why I want to go to sea?
            And how long of an answer would you give?

Comment

• Chiefy
              • April 2010

No idea what a personal statment is. But the question is a genuine attempt to get you toexplain your motivation, why do YOU want to come to sea? For the travel, for the career, for the girls in everyport, or....well it'd looked like a good idea at the time

It should be as long as you feel, they arent expecting (or wanting) war and peace, but some sort of clue that you know what you are getting into have done some research and are a real person
              Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
              Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
              No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

• Ash
                • November 2010

I would do something like a cross between the two. Mine went along the lines of that i'd always had an interest in the sea, then went on to talk about things i've done (eg: RNLI, Powerboat instructor, Time on a tall ship etc..) and then summed it up by saying what qualities I had that meant i was suited to the role. Lengthwise its really up to you but some do have a word limit (e.g. Maersk has one of about 200 words)

Comment

• Brimbo
                  • May 2010

for your personal statement try saying your fascinated by the industry and its operations etc anything so they will take you for an interview, afterall how will they know your lying !
                  Life at sea is a life for me

Comment

• Chiefy
                    • April 2010

Originally posted by Brimbo
                    for your personal statement try saying your fascinated by the industry and its operations etc anything so they will take you for an interview, afterall how will they know your lying !
                    Ermmmm Hello Big Brother and Sister read this ....just a word to the wize like
                    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

• Ash
                      • November 2010

Originally posted by Chiefy
                      Originally posted by Brimbo
                      Ermmmm Hello Big Brother and Sister read this ....just a word to the wize like
                      The walls have ears and all that jazz like

Comment

Working...
                      X