Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Application Advice

Hi all

I have decided to have a change in career as I am board of sitting in an office all day, and love being at sea.

Which intake is better Septmber or January ? ( I've heard they don't have as many places available in January than September)

I have been in the same job for the last 4 years, I can get on reference from my current employer but I may struggle to get a second reference, i may be able to get one from an old school teacher willthis be accepted?

When is the best time to apply and roughly how long does it take?

Many Thanks in advance

tribemad

Re: Application Advice

I sent out application forms Nov 2010 - some send e-mails in the next few weeks, most of them were no's. But I've had one interview and got another coming up! Where do you live? Might be worth going to Warsash Open Day 21st Jan? Most sponsering companies will be there and will have lots more info!
    And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln.

Comment

I live near Nottingham, I was hoping to go to the open day but I am on a course next week with work that I can't get out of.

Comment

Which intake you are in makes little difference, there is a "bias" towards Spetmeber based purely on the Accademic Year, remember previous "most" cadets came straight from school or college therefore finish in June(ish) and are ready for next term in September, this also accounts for the fewer places in January as you would maybe get into the Jan intake if you needed re-sits for O/A levels. Basically apply and say you can start "whenever" and you ought to make Sept this year or Jan next assuming you get an offer of course.

As for References, employer is good, an ex teacher ok from back then, but do you know other people or "good standing" vicar, doctor, family friend of good standing, basically you can prove employment standing etc and the other helps prove you're an ok person

Best time to apply? Now basically. Anytime is good, as it also gives them the option of where to slot you in.

Good Luck and we'll be here if you need more help, guidance a moan etc
        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
        Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
        No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

***REMOVED***
          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Clyde checked my references. I know because my boss was on holiday when the leter came and I was dealing with the mail. Just wish I wasn't so honest :P

Comment

Hi thanks for the advice.

I don't know any "good standing" people who could give me a reference, I have sailed with the Jubilee Sailing Trust and have helped out on maintenance,would a reference do from them ( if i can get one)?

Also can you chose when you start(Sept or Jan) or do you have to re apply as I am thinking of starting in Jan?

Many Thanks in advance

tribemad

Comment

Start date is usually dictated by the empolying organisation, though if there is a reason to defer etc that can be taken into account, so when you get an offer or get that far talk to them and see what fits for you both.

Jubilee trust is ideal, even if it's just stating you have volunteered and worked / sailed with them, in fact it's borderline perfect Obviously they cant go into to much depth but it'll prove what you say in your application etc.
                Trust me I'm a Chief.

No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Comment

Thanks for the advice

My mind is now made up, and i definetly want to do a cadetship.

I have a slight problem in the way i can't get anytime off until April and i am off tall ship sailing end of March so will be uncontactable.

Is it still worth applying now or leave it till i come back in April?

How far can you get through the application process without them contacing references( Don't want to tell my boss i'm leaving till i have to)?

Many Thanks

Comment

You can apply at any time! Just make sure you mention that you will be doing the tall ships thing this year and when you are back on your cover letter.

Traditionally employers won't seek references until after they have made you an offer or at least interviewed you.
                    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

I cant remember ever giveing references for a cadetship, however most alow you to specify which referees can be contacted when....and most put current empolyer last ;p
                      Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

Working...
                      X