Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you wear glasses

Hi guys

Just checking how many of you wear glasses as a cadet. My vision is relativity poor and is around the -3.75 mark so I am very short sighted. I have been confirmed that glasses are allowed but will they examine me without my glasses?

Cheers

Re: How many of you wear glasses

I wear glasses and checked this out. Basically unaided ie without glases all you need to be able to do is read the bigest letter on the chart. Hope this helps

Comment

For engineers you just have to prove your glasses work, IE you can see with them on down to about line 4 on the test card. And that colour isnt an issue (shush Brimbo )

I ususally have my contacts in for my medical and all he asks are whats your perscription and what can you read on the card, normal I can read the bit that tells you where it was printed and by who...which gets the response "They work then"

Remember to carry a spare pair when away. I used to have an engine room pair and a "good" pair ie clean and not bent and mangled which covers the spare, with lenses though I tend to carry enough spares PLUS glasses incase of eye infection / minor injury (with the best will in the world one or the other will happen occasionally!)
      Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
      Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
      No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

ah no worries then. I can't really read the board without glasses but I will try, ha. I would have to agree on the spare glasses, engine room glasses AND none labouring glasses.

Comment

Just try and get a checky look on the way in and memorize it. :P

Comment

Also, if your going to be an Engineer and you're that short sighted then get a set of safety glasses converted to your prescription. Last thing you want to do is lop a few fingers off on the lathe or grind them away because you took your glasses off...
            I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Done my research and my eyes are not good enough without glasses! certainly a bummer as I would surely fail the medical.

The only other solution is laser eye surgery. ug.

Comment

Pardon?
                I wear glasses / lenses all the time so unless you are -7 or greater I cant see the issue, the criteria is your glasses have to work, ie correct your vision, as you want to be an engineer the bar is way lower for eye sight
                Trust me I'm a Chief.

No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Comment

True or false. you have to read the board without glasses.

My lenses are -3.75. what are yours?

Comment

False
                    -3.5 and -3.25 I normally can "just" make out the top letter, depends how tired my eyes are BUT with glasses you must be able to read 4th line down
                    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

Does the Doctor cover the letters so I can't have a crafty look when i enter the room? Usually i can see the top letter when straining my eyes, but its a push.

Comment

depends on the doctor I guess

I'm interested to know where you got the -3.75 number from, I cant see it anywhere, but that means nothing ;p
                        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

-3.75 is just the strength of my lenses, indicating im short sighted.

I have some techniques which will probably make life easier yawing allows tears to flow in my eyes an allows me to see a bit better...Squinting a bit is a good one. And finally, making my eyes almost asian makes my vision better too...but that means touching my face which to be honest is last resort.

tested myself earlier and only just managed it.

Comment

no I meant the cut off point ie what made you think -3,75 was "too" bad, given I have worn glases since I was 7 (a bloody long time ago!) and I havent seen it written anywhere, but I guess it must be most things these days are
                            Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

well I thought -3.75 was at the appauling status but cheating works fine for me. What was your perscription strength when you took your medical?

Comment

Working...
                              X