Drugs & Alcohol test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drugs & Alcohol test

Hey everyone, just hoping someone could give me some more info on it, just a few questions really.....

Basically, I have my D&A test on monday.
    I honestly have never even tried drugs of any kind so I'm not worried in the slightest about that.......and I know you have to declare any antibiotics/paracetamol etc you've taken.
    I was wondering if I went out this weekend ie. Fri or Sat (my last weekend out before I leave for Warsash in a few weeks) would that put me in a bad shape for the alcohol side of the test?

Also, do you get your results straight away or is something sent after?

Re: Drugs & Alcohol test

They're mainly looking for drugs to be honest, though obviously high alcohol levels might cause concern.

I'd say keep it to Friday, maybe one or two on Saturday but none on Sunday just to be safe.

I believe most results take a few days.
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Thanks CD.....think I might just stick to the friday to be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by purelywelsh!
        Hey everyone, just hoping someone could give me some more info on it, just a few questions really.....

Basically, I have my D&A test on monday.
        I honestly have never even tried drugs of any kind so I'm not worried in the slightest about that.......and I know you have to declare any antibiotics/paracetamol etc you've taken.
        I was wondering if I went out this weekend ie. Fri or Sat (my last weekend out before I leave for Warsash in a few weeks) would that put me in a bad shape for the alcohol side of the test?

Also, do you get your results straight away or is something sent after?
        yes you have, alcohol.

Comment

Illegal drugs then........

Comment

from when ive been drug tested by SSTG, we've been told by the people who do it that alcohol isn't a concern, providing your not extremely hungover on the day you have the test!
            Life at sea is a life for me

Comment

Alcohol testing occurs on some vessels, as you need to be in a working state.

At college it is all about illegal drug testing. Drugs endanger yourself and others on vessels, just don't do it.

Comment

Remember many ships / companies are either DRY or have very strict limits for Alcohol, that part of the test is looking to see if you are over any limits there. I was also told that they can see long term Alcohol Abuse from this test, though not sure how.

The Drugs part is self explanitory, however pre-test tell them everything you have taken inculding prescription items and as you say pain killers, hayfever tablets etc, as you get older etc you may go through phases of needing medical help for all sorts of conditions, so long as your company is aware (especially if you have to carry stuff to the ship with you etc) and the testing nurse makes a note of the actual drug / chemical in use then there is no trauma.

So a weekend celebrating kicking the Aussies at cricket should be just fine
                Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Its from the amount of alcohol that they find when they do the test.

If your under 18 and you ping on the alcohol test then they may give you a warning or boot you out. Thats down to individual companies. If you ever ping on drugs then good bye and dont let the door hit you on the way out.

We have enough idiots crashing ships and blowing themselves to bits out here, we dont need drug addicts as well (I ignore the UK classification system of drugs, drugs are drugs regardless)
                  I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

D&A test is usually a urine test, you get the results on the day - Antibiotics will not affect, Benedryl or the like can give false readings the doctor said, as someone else said alcohol is of no real concern as you're not working yet but will be an issue on board obviously

Comment

Probably to late now but im in the armed forces, hoping to leave soon! I have no time for anyone using drugs but nothing wrong with a few drinks! If its a urine test drinks lots of water before hand and make sure its not the first p of the day!!! If its a breatherlizer eat before hand will absorb the alcohol in your throat and reduce your sample!

Comment

You will normally find they are looking at your alcohol state over a period of time.

If your stupid enough to be drunk before the test then thats your own fault, however, if your a closet drinker then there are medical ways of investigating whether or not your verging on alcoholic. Obviously your body adapts chemically to drink the more you consume over a period of time.

Thats what the Doc old us anyway.

Comment

Working...
                        X