Time off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time off

Hi hope this doesn't sound to bad, I'm due to start on the 6th of Feb in Fleetwood and was just wondering is it the college who would agree to time off or would it be the sponsoring company?

Thing is I'm on the Lifeboat crew and I've been offered to go on a course on the 28th I know its not ideal with it being my first month at college but I was thinking the RNLI course would be well good to have?

I don't know if this would be allowed obviously if I have to make a choice I would not go on the RNLI course but I thought it would be something useful to have?

Anyways thanks to anyone that can help

Re: Time off

You would have to speak to your company, but I would say they are not likely to be very agreeable especially if its more than one day.

Also bare in mind that some colleges do your short courses during your first few weeks which you can not miss.
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Yeah I spoke to the training officer but I wasn't really sure what he mean to be honest he didn't say no he said unlikely but I think he said to ask one of the tutors in the college I think anyway :s

Yeah I know about the short courses the thing is as well I've already done some of the short courses as well and I'm doing a Day Skipper course this month.

Oh well thought it was worth asking anyway.

Comment

Pull a sickie. The amount of people in college that missed out on absolutely nothing but spent 3+ months OFF in total. Unbelieveable

Comment

Ha I'd be to afraid of getting in trouble if they found out I was doing something else. I'm a bit of a wimp really lol

Comment

Pulling a sickie on a day you have already asked to have off is a bit of a give away.
            Wise man says.... " Enough with the stupid questions "

Comment

Never underestimate the stupidity of it. It took one guy in our course to have 6 months off in total before they fired him. Never got wages docked for it neither

Comment

Well I never mentioned any dates just asked if it would be possible Ha I wouldn't do that though, Ill just try get a course during one of the holidays.

Gonna be really annoyed if we end up doing courses I've already done on that week now though lol.

Comment

Your short course certificates are only valid for 5 years - so your as well redoing the course for free as part of your cadetship, than discovering you need to redo them at your own expense because they have expired before you sit your Orals!
                  ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                  myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Originally posted by beer-engineer
                    Never underestimate the stupidity of it. It took one guy in our course to have 6 months off in total before they fired him. Never got wages docked for it neither
                    Irskine, Allison or both?
                    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by dale1989
                      Thing is I'm on the Lifeboat crew...
                      Are you gonna be able to continue doing this? Or is it at the weekends?

Comment

Thing is I'm on the Lifeboat crew
                        I have my doubts that you will be able to keep this up during a cadetship.
                        Forum Admin

Comment

Originally posted by The H
                          Thing is I'm on the Lifeboat crew
                          I have my doubts that you will be able to keep this up during a cadetship.
                          It'll depend on the LOM's decision. I know that at our station we have a few guys who work in the industry and they're still on the crew.
                          "We're not pirates, We're preemptive nautical salvage experts"

Comment

Yeah well I hope I'll be able to keep it up crew training is on Wednesday and Sundays so hopefully make some training days. I've spoke to the guys at the station and there happy for my to carry on going there and stay on the crew, there's quite a few people at our station that dont get there very often maybe once a month if that because a lot of them work away.

Comment

One of my good friends at shields is part of the lifeboat crew in Sunderland for training mainly at the moment . He was tranfered from his station in wales
                              Maybe I will never be
                              All the things that I want to be
                              But now is not the time to cry
                              Now's the time to find out why

Comment

Working...
                              X