Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are the majority of students in your class from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the majority of students in your class from?

I watched a few youtube videos about South Tyneside and the majority of students seemed to be older students from India. Is this the case? As I thought you had to have UK qualifications to do the HND or FD course. It might be that they are already qualified and were doing short courses

Not that it matters at all but I am just curious P.S. I am doing the deck HND at South Tyneside.

Re: Where are the majority of students in your class from?

I think the majority of the FD Engine at WMA is Scottish..
    Forum Admin

Comment

Fd engineers Are mainly Scottish. the rest English and welsh. Although there is an Aussy girl and A lad from Zimbawe but hes Irish/english family
      Maybe I will never be
      All the things that I want to be
      But now is not the time to cry
      Now's the time to find out why

Comment

The Indians at STC (Incas as they are known as) are part of an collabaration that the college have with an indian college and will not be in your class.

Comment

Ahhh that explains a lot Jenn. Wouldn't bother me either way and ships are multi-national this days now anyway, which I think will be great to mix with people from other cultures!

What is the male to female ratio like at STC? I'm guessing about 90% male as women in the merchant navy, from what i've read, still seem to be in the minority.

Comment

its something like that, about 40 people left on my course and only 5 girls. I believe that there is a higher percentage of girls on the foundation degree (from my intake anyway). Not many girls at all doing the engine cadet-ship, I can only think of 2 at the top of my head..

Girls are still in the minority especially at sea, I personally have only sailed with one female officer and no female cadets and have been on 4 ships so far.

Comment

Well its good to know that there is at least some female contingent at STC! Would be a sad sad day if there was no beautiful women to talk to

Comment

The indians/oversea's people all have separate classes from the rest of us, im assuming they learn the same as us though. Also they do not live in the halls of residence, I was told by one of the security officers block A was occupied by them for a month, had to get fumigated and barred off for a month for hygiene and insects! they live in local flats and other housing area's
                As for the classes you will be in, most the students are down south or Scottish, one Welsh lad in my class but he's pretty harmless
                Life at sea is a life for me

Comment

Similar at Warsash - lots of Nigerians and Indians but in separate classes. Some live on-site.
                  sigpic
                  Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

I want to see more women at sea-I enjoy their company....and that is not a sexual thing before anyone has any dirty thoughts!!

Comment

most people at stc seem to come from scotland or the north of england perhaps some midlanders - not many southerners which i see as a good thing as i am one - nice to get away from the place
                      Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Bloody Southern Fairies! Let those smug buggers stay down there...
                        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Working...
                        X