Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current cadets, do you own a vehicle?

Hi all

I currently drive a car paid for by the good nature of my parent, but, this will change in September if I am accepted.

I have no idea what the finance side is like as I am not yet a cadet, but an insight from current cadets who run a vehicle would be handy! Insurance costs for me are 1400 a year with 2 years no claims, petrol, tax, mot, tyres, services and repairs are not cheap!

How do you guys cope?

Re: Current cadets, do you own a vehicle?

I drive a vehicle, I pay ?140 finance a month. Insurance is about a grand. It is doable, but dont expect to have the same amount of free cash as your fellow cadets without cars, who no doubt will try and sponge lifts of you at every possibility.
    Forum Admin

Comment

?150 finance plus ?700 insurance for me, just about doable though I did need to draw on savings for phase one. From phase three I'll be using a student loan/grant to meet the costs.

What are you driving that's costing you ?1,400 with 2 years' NCB?
      sigpic
      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

I just bought my first car last week, ?600, though the insurance is coming from my savings as its not cheap for a young driver! My wage / accomodation allowance will manage it though I assume.
        Life at sea is a life for me

Comment

Dump the car-there's plenty of people there with one who will offer a lift (please offer petrol money though-nothing pisses me off more than passengers who think they're cargo!) and public transport does exist.
          For the amount of time you will spending out of college in your first phase, it's far more fun to pump the cash into the bar than a rusting faradays cage stuck in a car park.
          If you're desperate for transport-get a scooter, they're loads cheaper and you might even get a parking space! Also, they're a lot easier to store when you're at sea.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta
            ?150 finance plus ?700 insurance for me, just about doable though I did need to draw on savings for phase one. From phase three I'll be using a student loan/grant to meet the costs.

What are you driving that's costing you ?1,400 with 2 years' NCB?
            finance? is that your petrol ect?

I didn't know we could get grants and loans....

also my car is a ford fiesta 1.25 1997. I am 20, cheapest I could get!

Comment

Ah ok, it'll go down a bit at 21. I'm 22 with a 1.2 2007 Corsa, 1yr NCB.

Finance is for the car itself. Petrol, maintenance etc is on top.

You can get a loan and means-tested grant from Ph 1 on FD courses and Ph3 on HND courses.
              sigpic
              Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Does it not mature Cadets get grants from the sponsoring companies as well?

Well im hoping it will drop at 21. VAT rise and this years winter weather will prob say different though, like last winter.

EDIT: Insurance on my car is so damn much because I'm in Bolton, Manchester...

Comment

I own one. However i've 'rented' it out to my brother when im at college.

Can't really justify having it there, no finance on it but fuel, wear and tear, unexpected repairs, tax, insurance... all things i can do without when im earning peanuts!

If i ever really needed it i could nip home and grab it back but so far, i've had no real use for it - loads of people to give lifts if needs be, im not shy with petrol money, even then, public transport is fine if needs be.

Comment

another chris - i think i need to change my username

up at stc its typically the older cadets that can justify having a car - its quite a luxury but worth digging into my savings for - driving from the deep south upto newcastle is margnally better than struggling with suitcases on at least 4 trains too
                    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

I'd say you dont need it. It's to expensive and you won't really use it so much. Also, think about the upkeep while you're at sea. That effectively doubles the costs as your paying for it without actually using it

Comment

Remember, your merchant seamen, not students. Knocked ?500 off my insurance

Comment

Originally posted by kayak
                          Remember, your merchant seamen, not students. Knocked ?500 off my insurance
                          Good point, I will have to remember that come next year!

I am a bike person too, might just get a full bike license and find my self some 500cc+ muscle. something which can easily get me 200 miles in one trip.

Comment

Im in the process of selling my works van but I pay 80 odd quid a year insurance for my car and dont even have to pay road tax! Its a 1971 VW Beetle, Im 27 and was paying 1500 plus for an MR2 even at 21 until i bought a van. You may see it near STC next week - Hopefully i wont be pushing it

Comment

Originally posted by Mariner
                              Im in the process of selling my works van but I pay 80 odd quid a year insurance for my car and dont even have to pay road tax! Its a 1971 VW Beetle, Im 27 and was paying 1500 plus for an MR2 even at 21 until i bought a van. You may see it near STC next week - Hopefully i wont be pushing it
                              It shall be looked out for
                              Life at sea is a life for me

Comment

Working...
                              X