A silly question about flags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A silly question about flags

I was doing some research looking intoo shipping companies and the like. I seen one company that had an Austrian flagged ship. Is this probably a typo and they ment Australian or are there really austrian flaged ships?

Re: A silly question about flags

In all honesty it depends, what was the city of registration, that'll tell you if it's a typo or not. No reason not to have Austrian Flagged vessels.

There are no silly questions, however the same cannot be said of the answers
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

The lack of a coastline does not prevent a country offering a register of merchant vessels. There is a Swiss merchant marine, though I cannot find English language reference to the Austrian merchant marine. I remember reading some time back about a Mongolian registered fishing vessel. At the very least there will be Austrian registered river vessels employed on the Danube.

Comment

Never come across an Austrian flagged ship personally. However Steve is right. Just because the country doesn't have a coastline doesn't stop it from legally holding a register.
        Would make inspections difficult tho......

To boldly go.....
        Forum Administrator
        OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Originally posted by Randomist
          Never come across an Austrian flagged ship personally. However Steve is right. Just because the country doesn't have a coastline doesn't stop it from legally holding a register.
          Would make inspections difficult tho......
          Erm.... Flag State inspections are generally conducted by the vessels class society on behalf of the flag :-)

Look at the number of Bahamas registered vessels - how many do you think ever go any where near the Bahamas (not to mention the Bahamas Maritime Authority - or whatever they are called - are headquartered in London) :-)
          ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
          myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

This is true. You're thinking of the Bermuda Maritime Authority.

To boldly go.....
            Forum Administrator
            OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Originally posted by Randomist
              This is true. You're thinking of the Bermuda Maritime Authority.
              There also in London, but Bahamas are too
              ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
              myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Amazing the number of Authorities for different countries that are based in London

To boldly go.....
                Forum Administrator
                OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Working...
                X