Shore based job prospects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shore based job prospects

Obviously, at the moment I want to see the world and gain new experiences but at some point in the far future, as is the natural way, I have no doubt that I will want to settle down on land with a wife and children.

Is there a need for deck officers on land in the industry, and if so in what roles (harbour pilots/consultants etc)? Or are job prospects bleak and would I have to look at starting out in a new industry?

Re: Shore based job prospects

It depends what you are looking for and how much experience you have... theres always; college lecturers, surveyors, ship management, fleet superintendents, MCA inspectors / examiners, MAIB, etc. have a look in the Telegraph for an idea of some of the positions advertised there.
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

An Engineer will always have better prospects when it comes to shifting ashore.
      A competent, dedicated, true believer deck officer, will be shocked and horrified when taking a shore position.
      He will realise just what a incompetent bunch shore authorities really are - they are shocking, interested only in themselves, no concern for ships, for seafarers, nor cargoes - just the ability to create an impression that they are.
      Impressions/illusions, oh yes they really are good at them.
      Not like the old days at all.
      To you from failing hands we throw - The Torch;
      Be yours to hold it high.
      If ye break faith with us of old,
      We shall not sleep,
      nor shall you either !!!

Comment

I had an interview for some career advice with an ex captain who now is director of his own shipping company. He told me that nearly all his contemporaries who started in the merchant navy are now working on shore. Many go as far as getting qualified as a Mate and then go into ship management or the like. There are apparently even quite a few ex Merchant Navy ship brokers. I'm interested in one day maybe getting qualified in marine law as my back up plan.

What Oldman says I guess is right, once your on shore it's probably a different world. Your just concerned with making money and advancing your career. But then you get to go home every day to your wife/kids/dog/cat and sleep in a house so maybe it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by oldman
          He will realise just what a incompetent bunch shore authorities really are - they are shocking, interested only in themselves, no concern for ships, for seafarers, nor cargoes - just the ability to create an impression that they are.
          Impressions/illusions, oh yes they really are good at them.
          Not like the old days at all.
          With all respect, that is the biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard and quite bloody stupid!!!!

Working ashore is actually a lot harder than working on ship. Trying to keep track of around 5 to 7 ships, all with different problems, all demanding your immediate attention is one hell of a juggling act and not all are capable of doing it.
          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Working...
          X