Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniform list and questions

Hey guys,

I have a uniform question, if you can spare the time.

Firstly can you confirm that:
    - Black shoes
    - Black trousers
    - White pilot shirt
    - Nato jumper
    - Black tie
    is the correct uniform?

Now with the shoes can they just be any ol' shoes or do they have to be a certain type?

As they want you to have pilot shirts does that mean you have to buy epaulets? If so.. do they do cadet ones or trainee ones?

Do you have to wear a 'Nato' jumper or can it be just a black cardigan?

Also can you give me a rough estimate of quantities? Do i need a nato jumper for everyday? (i don't really want to buy 5 if i don't have to)

Lastly can any of you recommend a place for me to get pilot shirts and Nato jumpers, etc? I know CMT have a store.

Thanks
    Ben

Re: Uniform

All of the stuff is available from your training company or Miller Raynor in southampton.

A good guide is:
    2 x nato jumpers - best to have these instead of a cardigan etc and good to have 2 - one in the wash, one on.
    2 x black trousers - one in the wash, one on.
    3 x long sleeve pilot shirts - gets hot and stuffy in the classrooms, bet to have a couple.
    3 x short sleeve pilot shirts - essential in the summer!
    2 x 1 pair of cadet eppauletts stripe is are vertical not horizontal like an officer. Best have two pairs so when wearing a jumper you can have one pair on the jumper and one pair on the shirt you are wearing. Saves having to swap them ove each time you take the jumper on/ off.
    1 x pair of smart black shoes. (I have a pair of chelsea boots but any smart black shoe will do)

Now some people might disagree, but myself and the other older lads at warshash (we are all 25+ and engineers) like to look smart for college.

Hope thats ok.
    Ben

Comment

The above is a good estimate. If you want to save some money you will only need one Nato jumper, as you can wash this at the weekend ready for another week.
      Forum Admin

Comment

What are you all doing to your jumpers that you need to wash them regularly? Mine has never been washed, it doesn't need it and handwashing wool is a right nuisance.

And that's not me that you can smell!

Comment

You only really need one 1 NATO style jumper, as since its seagoing uniform you should only be wearing that at sea, not in college, same goes for epaulettes and the like, wearing them ashore is not the done thing.

Comment

We have to wear them at Warsash. No choice unfortunately.

Comment

..but odly enough I don't wear them at sea. Not part of the requirements for the offshore company I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by btiratsoo
                We have to wear them at Warsash. No choice unfortunately.
                According to who?
                College Uniform should be: plain white shirt (non uniform), company tie, black/grey trousers and a blazer or plain (non uniform) jumper.

Comment

Thanks guys

@btiratsoo. Danke

@Steve. What are you doing that keeps you so clean? It may look clean but what aout the bacteria that's been growing for X amount of (dare i say) years?

@Malim Sahib. What should i be wearing at college then? (Please don't say blazer ) Scratch that. Why do you need to wear pilot shirts if you don't need to wear eppauletts.

Ben

Comment

Just Ben,
                    We either wore blazers at college or a plain jumper (i.e. sweater or 'tank top', with no epaulettes or suchlike), together with what's outlined above.
                    I've never worn pilot shirts as they're not correct MN uniform - plain office style shirts for college and correct tropical shirts with two open pockets or Long sleeve pocketless when at sea.

Comment

Thanks

Hopefully my joining iunstructions will come soon, i assume uniform requirements are slightly different between colleges.
                      Really? i always thought they were (apart from the fact they're called PILOT shirts)

Tropical shirts?

Comment

I've NEVER worn my blazer. Most people in my class wear Nato Jumpers At STC the uniform is rather relaxed though, as long as you look generally smart

Comment

Warsash and Anglo-Eastern enforec it for me Malim. We were told on the first day there thats what we were expected to wear. Can't say much more than that. But when I am on the vessel, its jeans and t-shirt.

Ben

Comment

Alas Malim I'm afraid that Warsash does require a full uniform- including black trousers, pilot shirt with epaulettes, and jumper-only needs to be worn if you fell like it. The only people I see wearing blazers are the RFA, and that is optional. (although I have seen them all trotting off looking smart with blazers so it might be required for special meetings or whatever)
                            So far I agree with Steve as I've yet to wash my jumper as I don't wear it much and it isn't dirty/smelly.
                            You can trust me,
                            I'm a doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by btiratsoo
                              Warsash and Anglo-Eastern enforec it for me Malim. We were told on the first day there thats what we were expected to wear. Can't say much more than that. But when I am on the vessel, its jeans and t-shirt.

Ben
                              Ben,
                              I think all that shows is a lack of knowledge from both the college staff and the training Superintendents at AE as to what should constitute appropriate uniform.
                              When I was a cadet the distinction between College and Seagoing wear was quite rigidly enforced and there was little crossover between the two. To have worn any kind of seagoing uniform in college would have quite quickly made you subject to considerable ridicule from Lecturers and Cadets alike, normally followed by a letter being sent to your company saying you weren't appropriate attired.
                              For what it's worth, I did my cadetship at South Shields and they were considered quite 'soft' on cadets compared to Warsash, the staff of which have some major delusions of grandeur (probably due to the proximity of Pompey). We stopped regularly wearing blazers after our 3rd phase at college but still wore them for company visits etc,the blazer alternative being the aforementioned plain black/navy blue non uniform jumpers.
                              On the odd occasions I visit the Colleges now (mostly for short courses), I notice some cadets are now even wearing epaulettes when at college!

Comment

Working...
                              X